• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Souffle recipe that you can prepare in advance?

aidensnd2

Hi-

I'm looking for a souffle recipe, psatry cream based, just a simple vanilla bean souffle that I can prepare in advance and refrigerate/freeze until needed for service. I know I've seen many recipes for this but I'm currently in the middle of a move and all my cookbooks are in storage and can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the web. Anyone have anything that fits the bill? They don't need to hold for too long, just long enough so that I can prepare them before service and hold them for 4-5 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'll be fascinated to learn about this. Can there be such a thing that isn't, um, horrible? Or are we talking about an item that isn't really a souffle in the classic sense but a frozen dessert with a lot of air beaten into it?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Actually, it is very common to make souffles ahead of time and keep them in the fridge before baking off.

Unfortunately, I don't have any recipes off hand. I would try epicurious or foodtv, but I'm sure another member has experience with this.

I agree with Begpie. Having had to make manymany souffles during service, easiest way to do it is have your base made (pastry or choux) - and it can usually hold for a day or two - then fold in whites to order. Even with the whites incorporated you could hold it for 30-45 minutes and still get a good looking souffle. Any longer and you'd get more of a mushroom effect rather than straight sides/top.

Double cooked Chocolate souffle

I've had this clipping for a while and been meaning to try it. The process should just as easily be applied to savoury souffles. Yes, I am assured that souffles do really rise twice!

The recipe is one by Damien Pignolet. He runs a restaurant in Sydney called Bistro Moncur and the recipe comes from his book http://www.amazon.com/French-Damien-Pignol...24969792&sr=8-1.

120 g caster sugar

40g Valrhona cocoa or fine-quality substitute

240ml milk

30g cornflour or custard flour

60ml cognac

4 egg yolks, well beaten

6 egg whites

2 tbsp caster sugar

200g Valrhona bittersweet chocolate, chopped

pure icing sugar for dusting

For the cream sauce:

2 tsp instant coffee

1 tsp cognac or brancy

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat over to 180 degree Celsius (350 degree F). Grease six chilled and dried souffle dishes (180 ml capacity) with soft unsalted butter, then dust with some caster sugar.

In a medium saucepan over low heat, dissolve the 120g caster sugar and 40g cocoa in the milk.

Mix the cornflour with enough water to make a paste, then beat in the cocoa mixture off the heat. Return the pan to the heat and slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Add the cognac. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes before beating in the egg yolks.

Beat the egg whites until they form firm peaks, then scatter the 2 tbsp caster sugar over them and keep beating until stiff peaks are formed. Beat a quarter of the egg white mixture into the cocoa base. Scatter the chocolate over the remaining egg white mixture, then pour the cocoa base on top and fold it gently but thoroughly.

Fill the souffle dishes almost to the top, wipe the rims clean and bake in a bain marie for about 15 minutes until the souffles have risen well. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the bain-marie. The souffles will deflate but don't be concerned. Once cool, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until required.

About 30 minutes before you want to serve the souffles, take them out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

In a small saucepan, combine the cream sauce ingredients and reduce over a low heat by about a quarter.

Dip the souffle dishes into very hot water for 30 seconds then run a paring knife around the inside of each dish and turn out the souffles onto individual gratin or ovenproof dishes. Generously surround with cream sauce, lightly coating the tops and bake until well risen, about 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately, lightly dusted with sieved icing sugar and 1 tsp of praline sprinkled over the top of each souffle.

Hazelnut praline

150g hazelnuts

150g sugar

60ml water

Preheat over to 180 degrees celsius. Roast the hazelnuts for 4-5 minutes or until the skins are flaking away. Remove from the oven and tip into a tea towel. Rub the nuts to dislodge the skins. Remove and excess skins with a small knife and discard.

In a heavy based saucepan, dissolve the sugar in the water and place over a high heat. When the sugar becomes a deep caramel color, add the nuts and carefully stir, coating the nuts evenly with the caramel. Pour the praline into a slightly oiled tray. when cool, break into large chunks and store in an airtight container in the freezer.

To serve, pulse in a food processor to a coarse meal, or chop with a large cook's knife.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I worked very briefly at a hotel where we would make huge batches of individual souffles, freeze them, then put enough for a night in the reach-in to thaw. Baked in a water bath about 20 minutes to order. I think they kept a day or two refrigerated. One particular that I remember was that after adding the egg whites, you were supposed to beat the mixture until it started breaking down a little, supposedly that was better than stopping at just folding in the stiff whites.

Here's a recipe on www.finecooking.com that I have used and enjoyed. It does have a mushroom top rather than straight up so I don't know if it will work for your purposes or not.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...fles.aspx?ac=fp

If you can't see it and would like to, PM me and I'll do a copy/paste.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden