• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Prices Tank

johnnyd

Oh dear.

Note to Self: Eat more lobster. Tell friends to eat more lobster. Then eat more lobster.

Actually, the freezer is almost empty of the giant batch of rich lobster broth (thank you, Jasper White) that I made for our New Year's lobster feast, when we were also doing our best for the seacoast economy. Time to make another giant batch to last me through the next six months.

OOOHHHH! Lobster risotto with grilled fresh corn...yummm.

Note to Self: Serve lobster risotto to friends!

• 2 weeks later...

Three Lobster boats sank in Owl's Head harbor as tensions show no sign of abating in Maine's top fishery.

It appears that another "trap war" has erupted between Maine lobstermen, this time in the Midcoast community of Owl's Head, near Rockland. Authorities are investigating the sinking of two lobster boats, and acts of vandalism against a third.

MPBN Story here

NECN Video here

Retail lobster prices here in Portland are at historic lows, $3.99 to $3.49 per pound for 1 1/4lb, $4.99 for 1 1/2lb.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Sorry to hear about the vandalism. I just read Trevor Corson's book The Secret Life of Lobsters. He describes some of the cutthroat practices in the trade.

Lobster prices have dropped to $8.99/lb in Ohio, which is cheap for here. I guess the substantial markup is due laregly to shipping costs. Still, I'd like to see more of our money going to the lobstermen.

Three Lobster boats sank in Owl's Head harbor as tensions show no sign of abating in Maine's top fishery.
It appears that another "trap war" has erupted between Maine lobstermen, this time in the Midcoast community of Owl's Head, near Rockland. Authorities are investigating the sinking of two lobster boats, and acts of vandalism against a third.

MPBN Story here

NECN Video here

Retail lobster prices here in Portland are at historic lows, $3.99 to $3.49 per pound for 1 1/4lb, $4.99 for 1 1/2lb.

Sorry to hear about the vandalism. I just read Trevor Corson's book The Secret Life of Lobsters. He describes some of the cutthroat practices in the trade.

Another great study is The Lobster Gangs of Maine by James Acheson - fascinating read.

Also, The Lobster Coast by Colin Woodard

Latest news here is that the State Police has decided to get involved in the matter. Historically, a guy gets pissed and cuts another guys bouys - maybe the mooring line, so the boat floats ashore. Big deal. Boys dissing each other. But three boats in one night is major.

Stay tuned.

Buy lobsters.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

They're $4.99 a pound at several spots near me (on the Connecticut shoreline).  We bought a couple and had lobster rolls for dinner last Sunday instead of our normal steaks or chicken on the grill.

I paid $12 for two pound and a halfs this sunday. I feel I'm helping out but I also feel guilty for the price.

Today's Boston.com frames the current situation in the Maine lobster industry in an eloquent report here.

The unrest [caused by last month's shooting] cast a pall over the island, where clapboard houses perch above rocky coves, buoys hang in trees like Christmas ornaments, and unregistered pickup trucks crawl the gravel roads, crushing piles of discarded lobster shells. The sudden loss of two men from such a tiny pool, in such painful circumstances, was difficult to fathom.

“What happened was traumatic,’’ said Lisa Twombly-Hussey, town treasurer and proprieter of the island store. “We’re a working island, so when something happens in the fishing community, it affects every single household.’’

Portland Food Map.com

The low prices are not currently reflected in the summer resort community in which I live.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The low prices are not currently reflected in the summer resort community in which I live.

Interesting.

And exactly what prices are you seeing there, doc?

Anyone else are welcome to chime in. We can see what forces the middlemen are exerting on the national/international retail side of this fishery, if any. Shipping is an important factor, and adds mightily to the final price, but if folks in other states and beyond see no change/drop in prices then someone is making a killing. Or are they?

Portland Food Map.com

I paid $16.99/pound today in Southern California. She was 3 pounds and just out of the shipping box at a busy seafood market. The others in the tank were barely over a pound or 5 pounders! As a point of comparison, the Dungeness crabs there were $14.99/pound.

Anyone else are welcome to chime in.

This weekend's seafood specials at my Fisherman's Market show $4.49 CAD for canners and $7.99CAD/lb for 2-3 lb. with 2-claws. Last week it was a buck higher.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I paid $16.99/pound today in Southern California. She was 3 pounds and just out of the shipping box at a busy seafood market. The others in the tank were barely over a pound or 5 pounders! As a point of comparison, the Dungeness crabs there were $14.99/pound.

That's a little over $5/lb. Probably came from Mass. since Maine does not allow harvesting lobsters that big.

Today's Harbor Fish Market signboard on Portland Maine's Custom House Wharf:

$3.79/lb for pound and a quarters.

$3.49/lb if you buy OVER TEN LOBSTERS - that's about $45.

I think it's time to revisit freezing methodology. Wasn't milk a good medium?

Portland Food Map.com

5.39/lb in Nashua NH for softshells under 1.5 lbs; 7-something for softshells over that, 9-something for hardshells.

I picked up two softshells for $12, made stock to add to a clam red sauce, and although I planned to add the claw and tail meat to some okra and tomatoes (we're finally getting produce after a long delay), I keep grabbing bites of cold lobster dipped in homemade Catalina dressing, and at this rate there isn't going to be any left.

That's a little over $5/lb. Probably came from Mass. since Maine does not allow harvesting lobsters that big.

I paid $16.00 PER pound, so the 3 pounder was over $50.00!

Today, in Maynard, MA: $6.99/lb for 1.5 lbs; $5.99 for chix.

Just steamed up a couple of 1.5lb beauties for tonight's Julia Child birthday dinner: Quiche aux Fruits de Mers. Of course there will be extra lobster meat...why cook only one lobster when you can have more?

- L.

$7.99/lb for chix and $10/lb for 1.5-2lb'ers in the Lake George/ Saratoga, N.Y. area. I boiled some for my son's college send-off dinner. He leaves tomorrow for Tulane in NOLA. Not too many lobsters there.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I paid $16.00 PER pound, so the 3 pounder was over $50.00!

Holy Hannah! Now THAT'S a freight charge! Something addled my math when I read your post. Might have been killer bisque I've been making lately.

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...