• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Coffee Roasters - What's in your roaster?

Richard Kilgore

While I have been drinking more tea these days, I still have coffee first thing in the morning. And use an I-Roast 2 each week to keep supplied. Most of my green beans come from Sweet Maria's plus some from a local Dunn Brothers francisee.

I like to buy only a pound or two of each of several green beans. That gives me enough of each to experiment with 150 g at a time, but keeps me from getting into a "favorite bean" rut. I would rather continue to explore than to go for a single type I like a lot.

Of course one person's rut is another person's perfect cup of coffee.

For me this week it's a cafe and a decafe.

A Peru from Dunn Brothers.

A Sumatra Lintong Nihuta KVW Decafe from Sweet Maria's.

I like both, but like the Peru the best.

All you home roasters - what are you roasting this week?

While I have been drinking more tea these days, I still have coffee first thing in the morning. And use an I-Roast 2 each week to keep supplied. Most of my green beans come from Sweet Maria's plus some from a local Dunn Brothers francisee.

I like to buy only a pound or two of each of several green beans. That gives me enough of each to experiment with 150 g at a time, but keeps me from getting into a "favorite bean" rut. I would rather continue to explore than to go for a single type I like a lot.

Of course one person's rut is another person's perfect cup of coffee.

For me this week it's a cafe and a decafe.

A Peru from Dunn Brothers.

A Sumatra Lintong Nihuta KVW Decafe from Sweet Maria's.

I like both, but like the Peru the best.

All you home roasters - what are you roasting this week?

I recently bought some green beans because I want to start learning about roasting. Bought them on a whim with my last haul from Intelligentsia. Since then I've found the Sweet Maria's website and have been reading. I don't have any roasting paraphernalia at this stage, will try very small amounts in my cast iron frying pan at first, mostly just to see what happens to the beans during the roasting process. I've been a bit chicken about starting. :raz: But anyway, I'm interested in reading about what other people are doing.

Edited by cakewalk (log)

I recently dusted off my FreshRoast after years of neglecting to roast anything for myself. I've been going through some old (maybe "aged" now) beans and the results have been great.

Some 2001 Cuzco Peru from Sweet Marias blended very well with some Kona beans that were brought back from Hawaii.

I also did a blend of some other '01 vintage PNG and Brazilian beans and that turned out great as well. Green coffee keeps remarkably well.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I have my own coffee perfection in a cup right this second!

we finally found our momentum with home roasting ...timing age ...omg I am truly happy right now with my favorite cup looking out at the Salish Sea...reading Egullet and planning a Portuguese feast ..with some most amazing friends... for this Saturday night

Panama Peaberry ...med dark roast....made in a moka pot ..served with a shameful amt of heated heavy cream ..no sugar

it may not be everyone's choice ..but for me ..a true from the breast to the bean raised woman ...it is bliss ...

eta

thanks Jon :) if you had not pushed me to home roast I would not be here now with this brilliant cup of wonderful in my hands!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I was for many years a coffee drinker-

i still on occasson drink a cup-only if it is brewed properly.

i stopped drinking the brew 5 yrs. ago.

i never home roasted but enjoyed a cup of moderately brewed cup of coffee prepared with mellita filter and ground with a small grinder.

joanne r.

Edited by jpr54_ (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Just my blend , get the Columbian from a local supplier (Andeano) , the rest from the Green Coffee Buying Club. Cheap and cheerful! The African coffees are getting pricier ! Love a Mocha-Java blend, but I switch off from time to time.

My2c Jorge

This week it's been a Brazilian from Sweet Maria's. Good stuff.

Now that the weather is cooling off, roasting is going to be more of a challenge and I'll have to buy more locally roasted beans.

Why is roasting more challenging in cooler weather, if you don't mind me asking?

I roast outside and it is impossible to get the roaster hot enough in cold weather. Once it gets into the mid-upper 60s, it works well. T least that has been my experience so far.