• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Felidia vs. Insieme

markk

I'm curious to hear how people would compare Insieme (probably the traditional side of the menu) with Felidia. I'm debating which one to try, as a break from all the French dining I do.

Thanks, all!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I'll weigh in on this one, but note that I had dinner at Insieme last week and I haven't been to Felidia for a few years.

Felidia is a more extravagant restaurant than Insieme, it has a much more formal feel (Felidia reccomends a Jacket for men and Insieme is business casual) and a much more proper service.

The food of Felidia is appears to me to be very influenced by Lidia's home region of Friuli and features a good number of very "rich" dishes. The cooking at Insieme is seems influenced by a diverse array of regions.

Last week at Insieme we ate the Lasagna verde al Bolegnese, Spaghetti Amatriciana, Short Rib Ravioli with mushrooms, and I had a Sea Bass Saltimboca with a lemon puree. For dessert we tried the quark dumplings and the bombolini. Everything was very good. It is hard not to compare this restaurant, both its menu and decor, to A Voce when Carmelini was still at the helm. I think its got a similar vibe, but the food was not at the same level.

The only dish I specifically remember from Felidia were the Krafti. Those are basically a ravioli filled with rum soaked raisins, orange zest, and a mix of cheese. They were excellent. Aside from that dish I remember thinking that the rest of the meal was not as good as it should have been.

I liked Hearth a lot better than Insieme.

If I was thinking about going to Felidia, I would also consider Scalini Fedeli. Its a beautiful restaurant in the old old Bouley. The food is very luxurious and based more on northern regions. I think for the quality of the food and experience its also a very good deal.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar