• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manchester for a week

Bapi

thom,

I won't mention Real Madrid, but if I mention "the London team", will you still help me find a restaurant?!?!?!

We're not tied to the location, just that it is a quick drive from hotel we're staying at... (Holiday Inn, only room in town!)

We tried MPW last year, liked it, would like something different, not Indian, not Chinese.... is Juniper difficult to find driving around? We always get lost driving around Manchester...

Thanks!

Sandra

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Sandra

I can't speak for nor replace the undoubted expertise of Thom but I do live in Manchester and therefore offer below my humble opinion. First Juniper is definitely an 'experience' [i would recommed]. It is possible to get a tram there or a taxi [£20 ish]. It would be a shame not to have a drink or two. Driving is relatively straightforward even for an out of towner. Le Mont is a lot nearer and does have the novelty factor of its views. I haven't been for a while and current reports are variable. Lounge 10 is always an intestesting place to visit and is right in the middle of town [no more than a couple of minutes away from your hotel]. The original team [as described earlier in this thread] are no longer there [to various projects including Sam's Chop House] but it still provides a welcome break from the norm.

As I mentioned below the 'ex-Rhodes' place received a favourable mention in today's edition of Metro but I personally know of no-one that has visited of late.

Almost as important, there is a fantastic Jazz Club [mine I must confess] that would welcome you with open arms. is open until the early hours and is a short stagger from your hotel. We do serve outstanding pizza but I suspect you aspire to something more substantial and, I dare say, interesting. Perhaps dine first, booze late!!

Regards

Dean

Badger,

I was in Circle, but on Saturday night rather than Friday. Maybe someone has taken my name, it would certainly get me out of all sorts of trouble if I could claim to have an evil doppelganger...

If you were there Saturday, I went with about five mates after the Ricky Hatton fight (note to Simon, he may not make the grade - fearless and great bodywork, but cuts too easy, and lacks power with the headshots). We were the drunk people eating plates of chilli chips and nachos with our fingers. Ah, I love mixing with the social creme of Manchester.

I know the owner of Circle pretty well, he's a great guy called Dom. To be honest the food was 'ok' when I first ate there, but with patchy service, a dark awkward dining space and a members only policy I feared for it's future. I was suprised the chef (who had some pedigree) lasted as long as he did. New menus didn't do the trick, and in all honesty I can't ever see it working as a pure dining space. The bar food/comfort food style menu and simpler kitchen suits the needs of the clientele much better.

Northern Quarter property? Hmm... There was a development office for the Northern Quarter (there was also an N4 association and a newsletter). I contacted at least one of these organisations before (actually I might have started off speaking to people at the Eastside Regeneration thing) and they gave me a list of all the new property developments planned within the Northern Quarter. Could be a useful starting point? Have you looked at space in the ICIAN development? I'm sure some of it must be A3, and its well located and will have a readymade audience as the offices and apartments continue to be developed. Beyond that? I'll rack my brains...

Sandra, we have never been spanked by a 'London team' as we were by the Madridistas last night, so mention away.

Which holiday Inn are you in? There seems to be a lot of them around nowadays.

Juniper is an interesting one. Not too tricky to find (about 20 mins door to door from the City Centre, fairly central in Altrincham) but I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for. Jay Rayner reviewed it recently and I was his freeloading guest. His opinions echoed my own, and you should find the article on the Guardian/Observer Website.

I always mention them, but our two restaurants (both Central Manchester) are pretty decent dining experiences. The Restaurant Bar and Grill is Grill style menu with Med and Asian influences, and Piccolino is classic Italian. Both serve excellent food, with buzzy, bustling surroundings. Service can be patchy in Picc and the downstairs area can be noisy. Also some find the bar in the Restaurant Bar and Grill a bit 'Cheshire', but I still eat in both a great deal if that's any recommendation?

You are struglling for fine dining in the city, though The Lime Tree (about 10 mins South of city centre) is pretty good. I would be tempted to go for some good 'casual/smart' dining (I don't mean that in a 'casual slacks, ribbed loafers and cardigan' sort of way).

Try Ox (Gastropub) or Choice (Modern British) in Castlefield, Gaia (Camp and New-Yorky) in Canal Street, Living Room (Trendy-trendy), Mr Thomas's Chop House (Trad British) or Croma (pizza) around Kings St/Deansgate. Mr Thomas's is on form at the mo, but not sure if Victorian Pub/hearty food is what you are after?

If you want something a bit more interesting try Rafas El Ricon (or El Ricon as some call it) for tapas off Deansgate, Samsi Yakitori (Sushi/Teppanyaki and more) off Canal St, or Kro 2 (Filling Danish grub) on Oxford St. The Market Restaurant is still good fun for quirky, quality British food (and the decor looks like your great-grans living room) but it only seems to open at the weekends at the minute.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want more (yes, even more) detail.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

I second Dean's 'Lounge 10' recc, it slipped my mind

The guys who set it up used to run the late and lamented Brasserie St Pierre and Reform restaurants in the city, and I think standards have been maintained. Opulent, Decadent, faintly ridiculous decor, and tasty (though expensive) amuse bouche style food.

Interestingly I read that Ferran Adria (of El Bulli fame) is helping put together a new menu for them. Should play well to the pie and chips crowd (Atomised pie and chips made of deep-fried ocelots noses?)

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Saturday night in Manchester....

We got lost on the way in from the M6...again....

Dinner at Samsi was excellent - we ordered a selection of dishes:

miso soups

agedashi dofu

karage

mixed tempura

ebi fry

assorted sushi

fillet steak shichimi - deliciously spicy, must get a rec....

loads of sake

Afterwards, a short walk to Matt & Phreds, great jazz, dark, smoky, buzzing, gin, rum.... perfect...

Next morning, a HORRIBLE breakfast at Arbuckles, across form our hotel, but we did not have much choice...

And of course, didn't even sniff at the food in Old Trafford...chicken balti pie? what's up with that?

Thom and Dean thanks for all the details!

Sandra

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Sandra,

Glad you had a good time, though a bit gutted that you came away with a good result. Don't event get me started on the referee...

Pleased that Samsi was still good. I used to go a lot when I was a member of the gym next door, but haven't been for 12 months or so (to the restaurant; I stress I have merely moved gyms, not given up on retaining my svelte figure entriely).

Matt and Phreds is good isn't it? And it's always fascinating to people watch the distinct Saturday night social herding as you move from the Gay Village to Piccadilly and on to the Northern Quarter. All humanity (and some inhumanity) represented within about 1/2 a mile...

You must have been very, very desperate to go Arbuckles for breakfast. If you end up at Old Trafford again, I think there is a big transport cafe nearby where you will a truly authentic full English breakfast. It serves all the tran-European HGV drivers who end up at Trafford Industrial Park and is open a hangover-curing 24 hours.

Come on the Saints!

Cheers

Thom

"Glad you had a good time, though a bit gutted that you came away with a good result. Don't event get me started on the referee..."

Bring on Wednesday night and yes Thom, Graham Poll was/is an arse.

Annoyed I didn't try Samsi on my original trip up there- but hurrah, I am back up there in May so will definitely give it a go after your comments Sandra.

Cheers

Edited by Bapi (log)

Simon,

No, no, no. I was a 'member' of a gym. That's very different from 'going' to a gym.

Bapi,

Samsi is pretty good. I think there was an earlier thread on here about them doing the 'naked sushi' thing too which may be another reason for you to visit.

I have a good feeling about Wednesday - 1:2 to United.

Cheers

Thom

"Bapi,

Samsi is pretty good. I think there was an earlier thread on here about them doing the 'naked sushi' thing too which may be another reason for you to visit."

Thank you for that Thom! The missus reads egullet and you have just earned me the Mother of all kickings!!!!!

But Bapi, you said you weren't married?!

You are a 27 year old property millionaire and part time male model who does a lot of work for charity aren't you...?

Good gried, if you can't believe people in internet chatrooms then where can you?

Cheers

Thom

But Bapi, you said you weren't married?!

You are a 27 year old property millionaire and part time male model who does a lot of work for charity aren't you...?

Good gried, if you can't believe people in internet chatrooms then where can you?

glad i'm not the only one that fell for it :biggrin:

you don't win friends with salad

Goodbye all- between them Thom and Gary have sealed my fate.

She works in the same building as I, and so I fear I have a few short minutes left, before the lift doors open and the moo-cow appears, frothing at the mouth.

Bye then.

Dead man walking Bapi

Actually- I think you blew it with the male model thing. There is now way she would believe I would have the gumption to write that!

Don't event get me started on the referee...

Pleased that Samsi was still good

You must have been very, very desperate to go Arbuckles for breakfast.

Not only was Samsi good, it was fun also, we had a great view of the open kitchen and all their antics! Also loved the dowstairs lounge with the tiger print velvet sofas...

We totally missed the gay village.... we walked left out of Samsi onto Aytoun Street and around to Picadilly, so on... we prolly got lost and made it to M&P anyway... go figure...

And yes, Arbuckles was a no-choicer... it was walking distance from hotel and did not have a 2 hour wait, now we know why...

Will look for the caff next time...

Oh, and by the way... ref is always "in play"!!!! ;0

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~