• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

internships outside of usa

pasta cookin nate

Hi i am a very skilled young cook, i recently graduated from culinary school and have been line cooking at high end resturants in seattle for the last two and a half years. I feel to become the chef i would like to become i need to further my education and culinary knonledge. So i am looking to line up a internship or exsternship some where outside of the usa. Fine dinning in europe is my main interest but will pack up and go where ever if the situation is right. If any one has any helpfull advice or info please let me know.

thanks,

Nate s

Be ready to wait.

A friend of mine from school just recently scored the primo gig in Spain. The job was the easy part. It took him nearly two years to line up all the visa/work permit crap.

Blanket the world with your resume and introduction letters. Check places that have established stage/intern programs. Hustle, hustle, hustle yourself. Go to conferences and conventions to meet and greet, shake a lot of hands, collect business cards and follow up.

Then deal with the paperwork and since you'll have plenty of time - buy the language tapes.

Devin

Why intern when you can work? With 2-1/2 years experience, you ought to be able to get a hotel job. There are TONS in Dubai/Emirates, Egypt, also South & East Asia looking for Western chefs. Google 'overseas hospitality jobs' and all kinds of websites will come up. The company took care of my work permit and visa and even helped me set up a bank account. After I decided to take the job, getting things set up and getting over here only took about 6 weeks. Of course, YMMV.

Or are you looking for a more traditional Western Europe type experience?

Edited by pastrygirl (log)