• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Bamix users out there?

the_nomad

I bought the Gastro because I wanted the extra horses - that's just me - and I found a good deal. While I don't find mine clumsy, I do agree the extra 2" is not a huge benefit in my kitchen. The Swiss line would have worked for me, but couldn't find it anywhere but bamix-usa. The dry grinder serves my wet purposes just fine, and I don't need the stand, dvd, recipe book, nor the silly plastic beakers.

Do you mind if I ask where you found the good deal? I've been looking at the PleasantHill site for a while now. I see they recently added the Deluxe to their offerings. I too don't find much need for the other accessories.

I bought the Gastro because I wanted the extra horses - that's just me - and I found a good deal. While I don't find mine clumsy, I do agree the extra 2" is not a huge benefit in my kitchen. The Swiss line would have worked for me, but couldn't find it anywhere but bamix-usa. The dry grinder serves my wet purposes just fine, and I don't need the stand, dvd, recipe book, nor the silly plastic beakers.

One reason I went with bamix-usa.com is that they offer a 10 year warranty while PleasantHill offers only 1 year.

Granted, Bamix-usa does charge an extra $20 for their Gastro 200. I got the feeling, also, that they may be able to do something on the price (or maybe throw in the meat blade, perhaps?); anything is negotiable. Bamixes are supposed to last forever, so maybe a 10 year warranty isn't significant, but lemons exist in the best of circumstances. Really comes down to one's risk tolerance.

I agree that the recipe book and DVD aren't exactly worth extra $$, but I do kind of like the stand that comes with the Swissline. Yes, you get a wall-bracket with the Gastro, so it is a question of personal preference... wall bracket or stand.

For a new Bamix user who doesn't already have the dry grinder (like you do), the little processor nearly makes up for the $50 price difference between the Gastro and the Swissline. The processor seems to me to have a greater capacity than the dry grinder, so if I were to choose between the grinder and the processor, I would probably go with the latter.

Edited by CavePullum (log)

Pleasant Hill had an open box Gastro, so the price difference was even more.

But, it would be a shame for this thread to become gastro vs swissline, pleasanthill vs bamix-usa. My Gastro is great. Smooth power, quiet, functional. A really nice piece of equipment. I don't really like to cook as much as I like to play with kitchen toys. The Bamix is a quality product, and that gives me pleasure.

For friends that know how to cook, they are impressed. For friends who never ever thought of homemade mayo, it is magic. Bloop, blitz, mayo. Amazing.

One day, I will pick up the processor, but for now, the "dry" grinder works just fine. I would be more interested in the processor if I could see the blade. The blade in the "dry" grinder is like a short steak knife. If the processor has a different blade configuration or does some other tricks, my interest would be increased.

-e

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Pleasant Hill had an open box Gastro, so the price difference was even more.

Lucky you!

But, it would be a shame for this thread to become gastro vs swissline, pleasanthill vs bamix-usa.

Nothing wrong with a healthy discussion, as long as it is constructive. Our little chat may help someone who is looking to make a decision on a Bamix.

I would be more interested in the processor if I could see the blade. The blade in the "dry" grinder is like a short steak knife. If the processor has a different blade configuration or does some other tricks, my interest would be increased.

bamixblades.gif></a></p><p>I checked on my machine and the processor blade looks the same as the grinder blade. I think the difference is flared sides vs. vertical sides? I am attaching a pic so you can see the processor blade. The SliceSy blades are more varied (see pic). I don

Blades look functionally the same to me. No wet dry grinder in my future, I guess.

100_5022.JPG

But the 'dry' grinder does work well as a stand. Surprisingly stable.

100_5021.JPG

-e

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.