• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Italian Dishes

LittleChef22

What is everyone's favorite Italian recipes? I was reading an article in More magazine about writer Ann Hood, who grew up in an Italian family that took pride in their culinary traditions. The article included a few of her family recipes that I am dying to try out- like Gnocchi in tomato sauce, and Polenta with Kale. Any other Italian faves?

These dishes have become staples in my household:

Ragu alla Napoletana--I like that you end up with a whole roast to serve separately from the sauce and pasta.

Risotto alla Milanese--Creamy and rich, but simple to make.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara--Same as above.

Spaghetti alla Puttanesca--My husband loves this dish. Just don't tell him that it has anchovies.

Minestrone alla Romagnola--I feel virtuous eating all those vegetables.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk, Bolognese Style--Simple to make, minimal ingredients. My husband's Danish grandmother has requested this for Thanksgiving three years in a row.

Ciambella (from Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking") I often flavor it with orange flower water.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Right now I'm eating a lot of pickled aubergines from Marcella's Italian Kitchen. They go great in sandwiches or in my lunch box. I often put some out with a bit of bread before dinner. I'm sorry that the season for them is over, or I'd make some more; I'll be sorry when they're all gone from my fridge.

Actually, I'd like to learn more about pickled vegetables in Italian cuisine.

• 1 month later...

EAch region has dishes that make me go crazy!

For my Florentine hubbie I just made a Tuscan lasagna, which is one of the dishes I love to make when I go to the states for people.

will blog on it later today!

Made with Bechamel instead of ricotta or mozzarella. Light and silky.

mmm delicate italian lasagna with besciamella :wub: it's been far far too long since I had that.

my husband's favorite pasta dish is Penne all'Arrabbiata

On the sweet side I also love a good Tuscan Schiacciata all'Uva and Siennese Panforte

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Oh! My! Like asking which your favorite child.

Spaghetti Putanesca

Carbonara

Osso Bucco with Polenta

Rissota of any kind

Gnocci any way

Ravioli stuffed with Ricotta and sweet basil in a simple butter sauce

Actually any stuffed pasta

Good lasagna

Focaccia bread

I could go on all day. I love Italian food

• 4 weeks later...
These dishes have become staples in my household:

Spaghetti alla Carbonara--Same as above.

Pork Loin Braised in Milk, Bolognese Style--Simple to make, minimal ingredients.  My husband's Danish grandmother has requested this for Thanksgiving three years in a row.

Ditto both of these, plus the onion butter tomato sauce.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Braciola alla Calabrese as prepared by my very good friend AnnaMaria Campagna.

She prefers veal but I like both the veal and beef versions.

She minces the pork for the filling in a Cuisinart so it is almost like a paste, makes bread crumbs from her own bread and uses a combination of pine nuts and walnuts, plus a combination of Romano and Asiago and some special giant sultanas she buys at a little market in her neighborhood.

I have the recipe and have prepared it myself but it never turns out as tasty as hers, especially when served with her home made fresh linguini.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

my favorites have to be the simple dishes...

pici is a delicious pasta... al ragu!

any boar sauce...ragu di cinghiale!

I love biscotti dipped in REAL vin santo

A simple board of mixed salumi (my faves are ER) culatello, prosciutto, copa di testa, spalla cotta, ciccioli, cicciolata, etc. etc!

At La Locanda di Bu we made an amazing Macaronara which is beyond this world (topped with amazing ricotta salata...YUM!)

time for lunch...

• 3 weeks later...
What is everyone's favorite Italian recipes?  I was reading an article in More magazine about writer Ann Hood, who grew up in an Italian family that took pride in their culinary traditions.  The article included a few of her family recipes that I am dying to try out- like Gnocchi in tomato sauce, and Polenta with Kale.  Any other Italian faves?

Potatoe Ravioli with Smoked Ricotta Salatta(OOOOOOO make ya slap yo mamma)

Spaghetti Carbonara

profiteroles

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know if you've heard about this or not. I went to a restaurant once. I'm very fond of sweets, so I ordered Cassata cake. The waiter said that it's an Italian dish. That was the day and hence forth every time I go to that restaurant I order this cake only. Really it's yummy. I tried to make it at home also, but couldn't make it as good as that restaurant. In general I'm fond of every Italian dish.

So say chears to these Italian cooks. :smile:

Focaccia alla salvia torn and dipped in real olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Ravioli di formaggio alla fungi

Spaghetti carbonara

Lasagne (using the recipe taught to my mother by her old Sicilian landlady - there must be tiny peperrones in it, or it's just not right)

Zabalione, and

Tiramisu!

I'm also fond of ingredients that aren't technically recipes in and of themselves:

Salami genovese

Parmagiano Reggiano

Provolone

Amalattea

ooh, the list goes on. I'm drooling!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)