• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday lunch in Paris

Shira

I've noticed that a number of places in my neighborhood (Paul Bert, Les Temps au Temp, etc.), put up their regular menus on Saturday lunch. Any thoughts on a comparably good options that are no more than 25 euros for three courses? Useful arrondisments would include the 11th, 12th, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

Btw, do establishments of this calibre ever take ticket restos? If so, could this apply to a Saturday lunch as well as weekdays? Happy to call and ask in specific cases, just wanted a general read.

Thanks!

Shira

Paris

lespetitpois.blogspot.com

• 4 months later...

After today’s wonderful Saturday lunch at Le Repaire de Cartouche (featuring a seasonal terrine of wild hare with chocolate, scallops with cabbage, grouse breast wrapped in cabbage with yet another cabbage preparation, piping hot clafoutis and a moelleux of (? apple) vanilla with caramel sauce for a gentle 105 €, (for two (Colette and myself), no bottled water, one bottle of wine and two coffees), no extra charge for expert waitressing by Rodolphe Paquin’s 5-yo daughter) it occurred to me we have a lot of overlapping topics on weekend eating. Therefore, I’ve merged some weekend eating topics which I’ve made note of here.

Edited by John Talbott at 21:22 to add number of covers and liquids consumed.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

After today’s wonderful Saturday lunch at Le Repaire de Cartouche (featuring a seasonal terrine of wild hare with chocolate, scallops with cabbage, grouse breast wrapped in cabbage with yet another cabbage preparation, piping hot clafoutis and a moelleux of (? apple) vanilla with caramel sauce for a gentle 105 €, no extra charge for expert waitressing by Rodolphe Paquin’s  5-yo daughter) it occurred to me we have a lot of overlapping topics on weekend eating.  Therefore, I’ve merged some weekend eating topics which I’ve made note of here.

John, Very nice, but ...

How many people? With or without wine? Coffee or no?

Total price per person?

?? Should we have a convention when stating prices? p/p/p? Menu price? Food only price? You name it?

Makes a big difference. A 35 Euro menu quickly runs up when you add an apperitif, some wine and coffee Plus, maybe, an after dinner cognac.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Sorry. As you must know, I usually specify who I am with, what water we drank, coffee, etc. Today was for two (Colette and myself), no bottled water, one bottle of wine and two coffees.

I'll fix it. I thought since it wasn't one of my regular reports, I'd omit it. Clearly folks want to know.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris