• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Solo in Tokyo

LordBalthazar

My travel partner (a.k.a. wife) backed out and, rather than cancel my trip, I've decided to forge ahead with a solo vacation. I'll be in Tokyo for about ten days and would like to try out a lot of the high-end restaurants. Now, my question is: Is solo dining acceptable or is it an egregious affront to local sensibilities? I'm not talking about casual eateries where I can simply saddle up to a counter along with the various salaryman, but places like Joel Robuchon.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

also.. remember to book ahead at the times given by the restaurant.. if not ,u are seriously not going to get a reservation.. when are u going for ur trip?? im looking for a partner to join me for my dinner on 21st jan 09 at aroma fresca.

Edited by Lucil (log)

also.. remember to book ahead at the times given by the restaurant.. if not ,u are seriously not going to get a reservation.. when are u going for ur trip?? im looking for a partner to join me for my dinner on 21st jan 09 at aroma fresca.

I've contacted the concierge at The Peninsula and he will be making the reservations for me. I sent him a list of restaurants and look forward to seeing what he can do.

Alas, I'll be gone by January of '09. But if you're in Tokyo betwen November 23rd and December 4th...

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com