• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Pioneer Valley

dscott

I've been a big fan of Edible Communities publications for a while. Sometimes pick them up when I'm visiting a region and have even sent a gift subscription.

I'm excited that the Valley has its own version now: Edible Pioneer Valley. I picked up the premier issue for free at River Valley Market in Northampton. I've only read parts of this issue but have enjoyed what's in there. It includes a nice balance of articles about eating, produce, restaurants, and the entire food culture in the Valley. It encapsulates why living here is great if you love food.

The website is still very much under construction but you can see it here.

Unfortunately the publication got off to bit of an unpleasant start. On the eve of its launch, the writer of one of the feature stories sent an email blast to the entire Amherst Farmer's Market mailing list (and maybe other lists as well) complaining that his story had been edited against his will. So the first taste most people got of this publication was one of bitter infighting between writer and editor.

Always a bit favoring the Valley, as I worked there for a bit over 20 years.

The Fort and Student Prince Restaurant in Springfield MA has recently been named by Gourmet Mag as one of 21 "Classic" restaurants in the US. I do have to put a plug in here for it's sake and the benefit of eGulletiers who might visit the Valley

http://www.wwlp.com/global/story.asp?s=909...srvc=developing

http://www.eshiphall.com/hof_inductees/200...rff_Family.html

Peter

These Edible folks are launching a lot of stuff, Edible NJ appeared this week as a giveaway at Whole Foods.

My opinions on the content won't be appropriate in this particular forum.

Still, good to see anyone trying a new venture in this economy. I wish them well.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845