• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Akiens into Liquidation

Even if it's all legal an above board, it would take some brass neck to go back to suppliers that you owe money for new gear.As for the suppliers, they may be some benefit to be associated with a big name chef, but if it costs you money, there is no real point, is there?

• 3 weeks later...

Reading the article, it says that he needed £600,000 injection of cash.He has a flat worth £600,000 with a £300,000 mortgage.There's 1/2 of it right there!

Why do i feel so angry at this? I have been there, nearly went broke, but i didn't bail out, i remortgaged my house and started again.I would have sold the house if i have to, live in a caravan (again).And if it all goes wrong again, all the people will be paid, by selling my assets.

Fucking disgrace!

The thing is he could quite easily have done a CVA and at least made an effort to repay his creditors, even if a few pennies in the pound. (Still having the option to bump it at a later date if needs be)

Once the VC's were on board though I bet even if it had been considered initially they would have vetoed it and gone for full liquidation.(Prepack)