• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stuck espresso machine

kangarool

I'll keep this brief, and add/answer questions as relevant:

I have a supposedly good Krups espresso machine that we've not taken good care of for the past few years.

We stopped using it about a year ago, when coffee stopped coming through the main drip, spigot or whatever it's called. It's also possible that it IS coming through the valve, but not making it through the Basket mesh. Sorry, i don't know the technical terms.

Any suggestions for 'unplugging'? Descaling agent? New basket cup? I don't know where to start...

thanks everyone/kanga

I'll keep this brief, and add/answer questions as relevant:

I have a supposedly good Krups espresso machine that we've not taken good care of for the past few years.

We stopped using it about a year ago, when coffee stopped coming through the main drip, spigot or whatever it's called. It's also possible that it IS coming through the valve, but not making it through the Basket mesh.  Sorry, i don't know the technical terms.

Any suggestions for 'unplugging'? Descaling agent? New basket cup? I don't know where to start...

thanks everyone/kanga

does the pump sound like it is grinding away?

Hmmm, vinegar and water??

I've inherited my mother's long abandoned 80s Baby Gaggia and disassembled much of it from the "coffee holder" (porta filter??) back and have found mucho crud up there several layers up. but never anything so severe as to prevent water flow completely. I think a good machine will be easy to disassemble... to a point. (various fastners needed just screw drivers and allen keys.)

I also poked the coffee basket clear with a stiff bristled dish washing/veg scrubbing brush.

(though most home machines do NOT (i learned) need or allow back washing where you block the coffee filter and force the hot water back through the system to wash it.)

But my first step as to take it to a reputable Gaggia dealer (you can tell because their show rooms are filled with these MONSTROUS industrial models that make you feel woefully inadequate when you arrive with your precious but dinky home model....) and have them overhaul it. Cost me sixty bucks and (assuming the thing is worth $400 new) I thought it was a pretty good investment. or at least provided a certain peace of mind that I hadn't screwed anything up completely on my own.

Peter