• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate syrup meets frozen yoghurt

Darienne

This is for my DH who loves chocolate syrup on frozen yoghurt. In the olden days I used to make syrup with cocoa, but now the boss would like his syrup made with real bittersweet chocolate. Fine. But so far my attempts at chocolate sauce have ended up hardening when it meets the cold frozen yoghurt. And of course, it hardens when put into the fridge. Then it has to be rewarmed...but still hardens on the cold dessert. I don't mind the hardening, but Ed does.

How does one make a chocolate syrup which is thick and rich and chocolately enough, and still it stays in a semi-liquid form when it meets the cold frozen yoghurt?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

How does one make a chocolate syrup which is thick and rich and chocolately enough, and still it stays in a semi-liquid form when it meets the cold frozen yoghurt?

Use cocoa powder. :raz:

Seriously -- the cocoa butter in the bittersweet chocolate is what's making your ganache-type sauce harden up in the fridge and on the frozen yogurt. A sauce that uses cocoa powder rather than bittersweet chocolate has way less cocoa butter to harden up.

B. Keith Ryder

BCakes by BKeith

Use cocoa powder.  :raz:

Seriously -- the cocoa butter in the bittersweet chocolate is what's making your ganache-type sauce harden up in the fridge and on the frozen yogurt.  A sauce that uses cocoa powder rather than bittersweet chocolate has way less cocoa butter to harden up.

Gotcha :rolleyes: and thanks. Another learning lesson. Of course. It might explain why there are no recipes for syrup calling for 'chocolate' per se.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.