• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proper Caesar Salad in Seattle

Does anyone know of a Seattle restaurant besides El Gaucho that makes a real (coddled egg, anchovies, Worcestershire sauce, fresh lemon) Caesar salad? I'm tired of those pre-made, goopy dressing, "Caesar's" most restaurants serve.

No, I don't, but I sure wish I did! My very first Caesar salad was in Mexico City in 1970. It was made and served tableside. I've found, with very few exceptions, that the only way to get it right is to make it myself. Once, several decades ago (probably :biggrin: ), I had a perfect Caesar salad at Belltown Billiards. I just checked, and they still have it on their menu. I won't guarantee it's what you're looking for, though.

SusieQ

Does anyone know of a Seattle restaurant besides El Gaucho that makes a real (coddled egg, anchovies, Worcestershire sauce, fresh lemon) Caesar salad? I'm tired of those pre-made, goopy dressing, "Caesar's" most restaurants serve.

No, I don't, but I sure wish I did! My very first Caesar salad was in Mexico City in 1970. It was made and served tableside. I've found, with very few exceptions, that the only way to get it right is to make it myself. Once, several decades ago (probably :biggrin: ), I had a perfect Caesar salad at Belltown Billiards. I just checked, and they still have it on their menu. I won't guarantee it's what you're looking for, though.

SusieQ

Thanks for the suggestion. I make a great one, but was hoping to go out for a celebratory lunch. I'm a little on the fence about BB. Seems too good to be true that they'd make a better than decent caesar.