• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aqua reviews?

Nate_the_great

Sorry if this has been addressed many times before but I'm going to San Francisco to visit a friend in a week and wanted to hear how Aqua is? Do you need reservations far in advance? Also, I'll be there two nights and was thinking quince would be a great second place - any other suggestions? I'm new to this forum so forgive my ignorance of previous threads pertaining to this subject!

Edited by Nate_the_great (log)

Sorry if this has been addressed many times before but I'm going to San Francisco to visit a friend in a week and wanted to hear how Aqua is?  Do you need reservations far in advance?  Also, I'll be there two nights and was thinking quince would be a great second place - any other suggestions?  I'm new to this forum so forgive my ignorance of previous threads pertaining to this subject!

Nate, welcome to eGullet California dining forum!

I've been to very few SF restaurants except for Chinatown when I was a kid. Mind you, I'll be there about a week after you.

Aqua should be really good, since Aqua currently received a two-star rating from Michelin, if that means anything to you.

I've heard great things about Quince from my friends and I made a reservation there. I found out that for the 2009 year, Quince no longer has its one-star Michelin rating, again if that means anything to you.

If you're in SF on a Saturday morning, go to the Ferry Building & Farmer's Market. It's a wonderful place.

Have a great time in San Francisco, Nate!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Surprisingly, I haven't been to Aqua yet. But here is my current top ten in San Francisco (not necessarily in order - just in what I think of first):

Aziza

Bar Crudo

Coi

Ame

Canteen

Kappa

Bix

Incanto

Piperade

Kiss

Great, thanks! The quince reservation won't work out since they only had 10 pm on Saturday and that's a bit late for going out after but I will be going to Aqua Friday and Ame on Saturday so I'm very excited. It's kind of ironic that these will be the culinary highlights of my fall considering I live in Chicago but I haven't had time with school, etc. going on to try anywhere new here so I guess it requires flying across the country to do that!

• 6 months later...
Great, thanks!  The quince reservation won't work out since they only had 10 pm on Saturday and that's a bit late for going out after but I will be going to Aqua Friday and Ame on Saturday so I'm very excited.  It's kind of ironic that these will be the culinary highlights of my fall considering I live in Chicago but I haven't had time with school, etc. going on to try anywhere new here so I guess it requires flying across the country to do that!

Nate_the_great, how was your Aqua experience?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Great, thanks!  The quince reservation won't work out since they only had 10 pm on Saturday and that's a bit late for going out after but I will be going to Aqua Friday and Ame on Saturday so I'm very excited.  It's kind of ironic that these will be the culinary highlights of my fall considering I live in Chicago but I haven't had time with school, etc. going on to try anywhere new here so I guess it requires flying across the country to do that!

Post some pictures, please :). I'm dying in anticipation.