• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Madrid Recommendations

nikkib

And on the last episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in Madrid tehre are a lot of the usual suspects: DiverXO, Sacha, El Bohio and many remarkable others like Casa Salvador, San Mames... Check it for many other choices.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, we didn't get there in 2010 but flights are now booked for next month. Mrs H's job is to find the hotel. Mine is to find three dinners, in the central area. Botin will be one (see post #14) but are there any updated recommendations - not particularly looking for Ferran-esque places or tapas (we'll sample the latter at lunchtime).

Thanks

Edited by Harters (log)

John Hartley

• 1 year later...

A gentle bump, and asking if I should be focusing on anything in particular for a late November visit.

Thanks in advance...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Madrid last year, my favourite meal was at La Gambinoteca (modern tapas).

It was featured on Anthony Bourdain.

The foie with bruleed pineapple was good as was the scallops on bread with roasted peppers.

Also someone on the menu called 'seafood rice' which sounded a bit boring, turned out to be amazingly flavourful. It didn't have any pieces of seafood on it, but it was clearly cooked in a very good shellfish stock.

Mercado San Miguel is cool for foodie stuff.

Basically just watch Anthony Bourdain in Madrid if you haven't already.

I really regret not going to DiverXO.

• 1 year later...

If you guys read Spanish, the best forum by locals is 11870.com/madrid. Just check out the best of the year and you'll likely won't make a mistake. I liked the Bourdain episode, but it is outdated and limited in its suggestions. 

So, I suggest the following: 

-Sacha. Bistrot-like, or as its name announces: "botillería y fogón", more casual than a restaurant, but it is considered a cathedral for aficionados and chefs alike. The cook Sacha Hormaechea has been mentor of many Spanish chefs, such as Jose Andres. Look for product at its best and a very complex simplicity. "La Tasquita de Enfrente" is close to this line, a bit more expensive however.

-Lakasa. A recent surprise in Madrid food scene, a place to enjoy, try many different stuff and learn. It is very revealing of the transformation of menus during the crisis: Lakasa includes "raciones" (portion to share) and "medias raciones" (half portion to share) of every dish. Look for product, modernity and sincerity here.

-Lúa. Out of the radar, I advise this to have a more competitive option for a serious dining experience. Great service, decorum and a modernist menu anchored in Northern Spanish roots. 

-Diverxo. You've read probably everything about David Muñoz and his team, so you can experience his Asian-Iberian fusion all over town: Nakeima, Triciclo, Moratín Bistrot, etc. 

Traditional and good rices: Casa Valencia, SAMM and La Bomba.

If you are interested in tapas, meats and seafood/fish, just let me know and I'll post some more.  

Thanks for the tips, everyone.  Our trip was cancelled last November, but my wife and I do plan going next year.

Will continue montoring the thread :smile:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 7 months later...

Hello everybody!

I’ve seen there is quite an interest on those who come to Madrid to find an interesting place. I love my hometown and love talking writing about food and restaurants. So, I’m gonna do my best to summarize the places I like and the places I like to go with my friends or with my family. And remember, if you come to Madrid we have to “tomar unas cañas” ;)

Classic Spanish food:

City center (In the mood for tourism)

Casa Labra (Metro Sol): Although it’s also a restaurant is mostly known for one thing: Cod. Either in croquettes or coated in batter, you can pick 2-3 pieces and a beer/vermouth and eat it right behind Puerta del Sol. www.casalabra.es

Casa Lucio (Metro La latina): A house made famous for one dish: Broken eggs. They are so famous that they opened a new bar just to serve them (Los huevos de Lucio). If you want to eat/dine here, reserve well in advance. www.restaurantecasalucio.com/

El Ñeru (Metro Sol): A typical asturian restaurant with the (heavy) classics of northern food: beans, tripe, pasty, hake and above all… cider. And they also have a “daily menu” with affordable price.  www.restauranteelneru.com/

Prada a tope (Metro Sol): A tavern decorated in stone and wood specialized in products from El Bierzo. Morcilla, cecina, botillo, cachelos (sorry but I don’t know a proper translation)  www.pradaatope.es

La Alegría (Metro Callao): A typical “Bar de tapas”. All the classics of Spanish cuisine: Spanish omelette, chorizo frito, lacon, tripes and of course beer (una caña). Is a very small place with no luxury but with an old bar vibe. www.facebook.com/BarLaAlegria

Barrio de Salamanca (In the mood for shopping)

La Giralda (Metro Serrano): Classic andalusian bar and restaurant with very immersive decoration. Shellfish, fried fish, salads, soups with dishes like gazpacho, cazon adobado o tortillas de camarones www.restauranteslagiralda.com/restaurante-la-giralda-iv/

Casa Carola (Metro Lista): If there’s one dish associated to Madrid, this is the “Cocido”. Is served in 3 stages: the soup, the chickpeas and vegetables and the last one with the meat. I prefer this in autumn/winter because is “serious business”. www.casacarola.com/

Carlos Tartiere (Metro Ibiza): Another restaurant from Asturias. Classic food and good cider. restaurantecarlostartiere.com/

El Barril (Metro Goya): Shellfish, fish and rice at their best. This is a bit expensive restaurant but the food well worth it. A good “Mariscada” is one of the best memoir you can take from Madrid http://elbarrildegoya.com/

Here they go a few, with more soon to come. But, in the meantime, if you have any question or want some advice about places to go in Madrid, drop me a line

Edited by CharlieDi (log)
  • Like 1

CharlieDi, you make me wish I had a trip planned to Madrid! I have a question about Casa Lucio: what, in this context, are Broken Eggs? I'm none the wiser after looking at their photos. I'm reasonably sure it isn't what happens when I try to juggle. :-D

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hello everybody!

But, in the meantime, if you have any question or want some advice about places to go in Madrid, drop me a line

Or even better ask here, so we can all share the answers!

I've just spent about an hour going through the menus of the restaurants you list. Even though this is a city I will probably never visit again (I passed through about 30 years ago). But it was a fascinating hour. Thank you.

Hope it's useful to the OP.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I’ve seen there is quite an interest on those who come to Madrid to find an interesting place. I love my hometown and love talking writing about food and restaurants. So, I’m gonna do my best to summarize the places I like and the places I like to go with my friends or with my family. And remember, if you come to Madrid we have to “tomar unas cañas” ;)

Casa Lucio (Metro La latina): A house made famous for one dish: Broken eggs. They are so famous that they opened a new bar just to serve them 

This is good and timely. My wife and I will be visiting Madrid for the first time this fall.

I'm hoping to go to DiverXO, but at this point in time, it doesn't appear as if they'll be open the week we're there.

What's the word on D-STAgE?

And coincidentally, the NY Times just did a little piece on Madrid in this week's Travel section...

Travel Tips for Madrid

People think that tapas are Spanish and want to eat them wherever they go. Of course you can find them everywhere, but tapas are only from Madrid and Andalusia. They are not part of the culture in Barcelona, where the locals have an aperitivo or vermouth with some pickled vegetables, or in San Sebastián or Bilbao, where pintxos — thin baguette slices with different toppings like ham, vegetables and crab meat mixed with red pepper — are the tradition.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm hoping to go to DiverXO, but at this point in time, it doesn't appear as if they'll be open the week we're there.

Today I looked at Diverxo website and have only free spots for nov. 24th, till new dates offered (december and on) you  have waiting list at best.

Dstage seems a very adequate choice. I tasted Diego Guerrero's work at club allard and was awesome.

• 3 months later...

CharlieDi, you make me wish I had a trip planned to Madrid! I have a question about Casa Lucio: what, in this context, are Broken Eggs? I'm none the wiser after looking at their photos. I'm reasonably sure it isn't what happens when I try to juggle. :-D

Hi. I'm a little late on answering this as I just joined the forum and was looking through the Madrid dining section. Having lived in Madrid most of my adult life, it's fun to see what peoples favorite restaurants are.  I was a little disappointed not to find my old restaurant, La Gamella, mentioned. But I sold it in 2004 to retire and have not been back since I left Madrid. But it is still there. And doing well, I understand.

Broken eggs (Huevos rotos in Spanish) are simply fried potatoes, usually french fries, with one or two fried eggs on top. You break the yolks on serving. Not complicated but if you do it well it's really delicious.

Edited by Amchefspain (log)
  • Like 1

Richard Stephens

Majaelrayo, Spain

Today I looked at Diverxo website and have only free spots for nov. 24th, till new dates offered (december and on) you  have waiting list at best.

Dstage seems a very adequate choice. I tasted Diego Guerrero's work at club allard and was awesome.

I'm on the waiting list for Nov. 24th - I actually almost want to go to StreetXO even more.

Any word on Alabaster, La Cabra or La Tasqueria?

What would be my choices for a traditional, classic Spanish meal for dinner? And what are the classic tapas places?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hi. I'm a little late on answering this as I just joined the forum and was looking through the Madrid dining section. Having lived in Madrid most of my adult life, it's fun to see what peoples favorite restaurants are.  I was a little disappointed not to find my old restaurant, La Gamella, mentioned. But I sold it in 2004 to retire and have not been back since I left Madrid. But it is still there. And doing well, I understand.

Broken eggs (Huevos rotos in Spanish) are simply fried potatoes, usually french fries, with one or two fried eggs on top. You break the yolks on serving. Not complicated but if you do it well it's really delicious.

This is as good a time as any for me to welcome you to eGullet, even though you already have 6 posts under your belt. :smile: Thanks so much for posting about restaurants in Madrid, even though 'your baby' hadn't been mentioned until now.  Maybe your mention will draw welcome attention to it.  

Thanks also for the comment on huevos rotos.  CharlieDi was also good enough to post about it; his recipe is in RecipeGullet to make it easier to find later; it's here: Broken or Smashed Eggs.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'm on the waiting list for Nov. 24th - I actually almost want to go to StreetXO even more.

Any word on Alabaster, La Cabra or La Tasqueria?

What would be my choices for a traditional, classic Spanish meal for dinner? And what are the classic tapas places?

Alabaster is one of my favorite restaurants in Madrid. Kind of traditional "renewed" with excellent produce and top waiters & wine service. It goes just after DiverXO, SantCeloni and Álbora in my personal list.

La Cabra and La Tasquería are good very both. I would suggest also Lakasa, Triciclo, Taberna Pedraza and La Buena Vida as excellent choices. For "non-just-spanish" restaurants but also great options, I would visit Kabuki Wellington, Sudestada, PuntoMX (or its "street-food" version Salón Cascabel, close to StreetXO), Nakeima (queue system, no reservations) or Umiko.

Another excellent choice is Corral de la Morería. It has a top gastronomic menu which can be paired with some of the best Spanish sherries wines offer to be found in Madrid, and afterwards a Flamenco show which is not "just for tourists" but rather the best flamenco you can see in Spain (and I am not much of a flamenco lover, but it has been quite impressive in all of my visits). The gastronomic dinner room is pretty small and usually full on weekends, better go tuesday to friday and book quite in advance.