• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

USA available boxed wines

budrichard

I have no compelling reason to have a corked or screw cap bottle of wine except that one cannot get wine for long term aging except in corked bottles. I have purchased a case of a German Moselle QbA with screw caps and since this was not a wine for long aging, it was fine.

The box concept for economy seems viable but here in the Midwest I have not been able to find anything but what one would refer to as 'jug' type wine.

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative with any box wines available in the US that they would care to relate? Thanks for any replies.-Dick

• 6 months later...

I first got into boxed wines when camping - no scary, heavy glass bottles that need a corkscrew and might break in your pack while lugging it through the wilderness.

The Three Thieves Bandit wine is actually pretty decent. Epicurious lists it as one of their top five boxed wines, and I really like their cabernet and chardonnay. And everything does taste better outdoors.

• 2 years later...