• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking wood supplier for the east coast?

maui420

hi,

i am starting a catering business sometime next year and so i am getting my plan together. would anyone know where i can purchase cooking woods? like from a supplier who sells cooking woods for restaurants like carrabas/redstone grill/ wegmans?

I know a NY State BBQ restaurant owner that just has Home Depot order pallets for him, he mentioned that there is no shipping fee that way.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Why not find a local wood cutter? They can provide you with what you want and you'd be helping another local person. Much better than helping some big national company. Plus it could help you with marketing.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Depending on where you live, it might be worth finding out whether there are any sawmills nearby. We use a mix of our own trees for our wood-fired oven and also buy massive bundles of wood staves that burn really hot and are really cheap, and there are also local sawmills who will allow folks to haul away as much scrap as they're able for free, which often means whole, round log ends. You'd have to arrange for delivery if you don't have a means, and probably somebody to cut the larger stuff, although I saw through the staves myself (which is easy, and I'm just a puny person), but if you do a huge lot all in one fell swoop, you might save some money in the long run. Or look in the want ads for cords of wood. Some folks prefer you pick it up, but others will deliver, for a fee. If you need it chopped into smaller pieces, I'm assuming they'd do that also for a fee. But frankly, if I had to pay for wood (with the exception of the staves which are super cheap and last forever), it would eat into my profit pretty substantially.

Edited by devlin (log)