• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liberacion Rum

Dave Wiley

I noticed in another thread that Jason mentioned Liberacion Rum. This is one I am interested in, as I always enjoy the forbidden pleasures from Cuba.

The vendor that recommended it says it was his favorite, better than the HC products. He also recommended the Legendario. It proved too much for me to resist so I've got some on the way.

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Greetings Dave,

I too have just recently ordered 2 Cuban rums. One of them is the Liberacion 15 Year Old. I love Cuban rum and have tried several. I am told that the Liberacion is better than Varadero and Caribbean Club. Vara and CC are much better than Havana Club (Sorry Kendall).

If the Liberacion is indeed better than both the Varadero and the Caribbean Club, it will probably give Santiago de Cuba Anejo and Matusalem Anejo Superior a run for it's money.

I should get it in a few weeks. After a week or so of sipping, I will post my notes.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Paint Thinner?!?!?

I hope not. It cost me a lot to get these to me. I can't wait to get it and try it out. Living here in Montreal I can buy Havana Club as I please. I have had many bottles indeed. There is a distinctive after taste (the same as Sea Wynde) that I do not like. If I drink a lot of those rums, I feel sick. I think it when they add a lot of caramel, I'm not sure but would like to know what that taste is.

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

Well, didn't taste that way to me, see other thread.

Could that flavour be the "honey" as described by Havana Club:

When sugar cane is ground it produces a thick, creamy, almost liquid substance, very rich in sugar, and of a beautiful amber colour. This is the molasses, traditionally called "honey".

This "honey" is the main raw material, and its unique quality has given Cuban rum the prestige it has always enjoyed.

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been drinking on a bottle of the Liberacion 15 for a week or so now. I have to say it mixes into a daiquiri (my favorite way to drink) as good or better than any rum I've had. Now I'm not talking about a diluted frozen type of daiquiri, but one with half liquor and a splash lime, sugar and water on the rocks. It has a very complex flavor, maybe a bit floral and woody.

I tried it first neat. There is a bit of a bite on the finish that did not agree with my tastes. The flavors did not seem to be as open as they were in the daiquiri.

Well, didn't taste that way to me, see other thread.

Could that flavour be the "honey" as described by Havana Club:

When sugar cane is ground it produces a thick, creamy, almost liquid substance, very rich in sugar, and of a beautiful amber colour. This is the molasses, traditionally called "honey".

This "honey" is the main raw material, and its unique quality has given Cuban rum the prestige it has always enjoyed.

:cool:

I wonder if there are any actual differnces in the "flavor" of the sugar cane grown in Cuba, versus sugar cane grown elsewhere. I suppose differences in the soil and such would cause unique impurities.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

There are certainly differences in the sugar cane grown in the various islands. The sugar cane itself is one of over 50 different species depending on the soil, rain, drainage, etc where the cane will be grown.

The soil also makes a difference, volcanic islands like Martinique have more sulfur in the soil which influences the cane. And even in Martinique, for example, there are considerable differences in the soil depending on the region. Near Mount Pelee in the north where the last major eruption was in 1902 the soil is still very fertile but contains a lot of sulfur and other minerals.

Since Cuban rum is made from molasses and then distilled to a high proof, more than 90% alcohol, the effect of the soil is minimized. What is important is the amount of residual sugar that is left in the molasses after the crystal sugar has been removed. Since Cuba's sugar industry is quite old I suspect that the machinery is not the most modern and the sugar content in the molasses is quite high.

The other islands that import molasses like to buy from the oldest sugar mills where the sugar content is highest.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Since Cuba's sugar industry is quite old I suspect that the machinery is not the most modern and the sugar content in the molasses is quite high.

Then maybe its not such a hot idea to modernize Cuba's rum industry, from a Rum drinkers point of view. I mean, its the impurities I think that give a rum its character. How highly refined to we really want it to be? Thats one of the reasons why I think Matusalem Anejo Superior stands out, it tastes "primitive" and small batch to me.

Bacardi could learn from this by going back to a more primitive process for a super-premium line, if Castro ever dies and they end up back in Cuba.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Dear all, are you shure Liberacion is a Cuban rum? I'd rather say it's a "Cuban Style" rum but I doubt very much is a genuine Cuban one.

Anyway since I came back from Cuba 10 days ago, I've never seen it around, but I'd like to inform you I've tried an nother fine product from the Big Island, "Ron Caney", not that bad at all.

Has anyone else had the chance to try it?

Cheers

Dom Costa :rolleyes:

Im also sure that Liberacion is real Cuban. But Liberacion is only for export and not sold in Cuba (maybe its sold in Cuba under a different label).

You may have recognised that there are so many brands in Cuba but when you look at the labels you can see that there are only a few producers. The distilleries over there have sometimes 10 different brands or so.

I also brought a bottle af Caney anejo centuria but did not try it yet. Maybe I should...

But it is interesting to know that Caney now is the former Bacardi destillery (when Bacardi Cuban some decades ago). In some ways this is now the real Cuban Bacardi...

Cheers

Markus

Hmmm, I still think Liberacion is not cuban, you should all know that original cuban rum must have on the bottle the "sello de garantia" just like on the cigar boxes, a stamp that guarantees the genuinity of the product, and I don't remember seeing it on the Liberacion bottle.....

Dom :huh:

Here's what my Cuban/American friend said on another site:

"Yes, it is a Cuban Rum, not a very popular rum these days, but is up there with rums like Legendario, that were once the rave rums, now they are back burner rums, often forgotten. It is also available for export, but through limited outlets. About in the mid 20 U$D price range. Hints of maple."

:wink:

Edited by Bolivar Petit Corona (log)

Just had a chance to check my bottle for its actual origin. Although the vendor is in a different country, this bottle looks like it was imported by Spain.

First noticed is that it says "Ron de Cuba" in many places. Doesn't that mean "cuban rum"?

I don't speak spanish, so I used free internet translator for the writing on the bottle. "It distilled elaborate and aged by master (rum) Cuban that have conquered deserved international fame. it is a marks of just commerce that summarizes the tradicion (rum) cuban being emphasized for being genuinely Cuban, natural product, of incomparable quality and exquisite flavor"

Odd that it doesn't have Product of Cuba printed on it anywhere like the Varadero, Legendario or HC. But, most my bottles of those have mostly english labels.