• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corrado's in Wayne

zhelder

I just made my way to the new Corrado's in Wayne, and I'm impressed. This store is kind of a smaller, more efficient Cliff Notes version of the Clifton fortress. The store is maybe 1/3 the size of the Clifton store, which means it's still the size of a mid-size supermarket.

Corrado's website claims that the Wayne store has the same prices as the Clifton store. And after traveling the store, I'd say this statement is about 80% true, which amazed me. My jaw dropped when I saw that sundried tomatoes were $4.99 per lb. and grape leaves were $2.99 per lb., just like in Clifton.

I say the statement is about 80% true because the Wayne store does offer quite a few items that you probably couldn't get in the Clifton store, and these items tend to be more expensive than the Clifton staples. Obviously there's a pretty big difference between the clientele at the Wayne store and the clientele at the Clifton store, and the items available at the Wayne store show that Corrado's taking these differences into consideration. Some of the prepared foods at the Wayne store included fancy salads with gorgonzola and walnuts, and they even have a sushi station!

The deli at the Wayne store appears to focus on Boar's Head meats, and therefore, the meats are quite a bit more expensive than the no-name brands at the Clifton store. However, they did have one amazing special: proscuitto di parma for $11.99 per lb! The prepared foods at the deli are a bit fancier than the ones at Clifton, and more expensive. For example, they had some seafood salad for $9.99 per lb.

The butcher at the Wayne store is awesome. They have dry aged beef. And they had tons of ready made beef and pork bracciole! (I have had a hard time finding ready made bracciole lately!)

The produce department was nowhere near the size of Clifton's but all the staples were there, and prices seemed to be pretty close to what would be charged in Clifton. Tomatoes were $.99 per lb., bananas $.49 per lb.

The bakery department is smaller than the one in Clifton, but the offerings are similar. Cakes, pastries and butter cookies are all available for reasonable prices. Most cakes were $10 - $12, cookies were $5.99 per lb., like in Clifton.

The place was quite crowded, but nothing like the zoo that the Clifton store typically is. Waits at the register were extremely short, and there was plenty of help.

The store is clean and well laid out.

Overall, because the store is so much smaller than the Clifton store, the overall selection of food is not quite as vast. And many of the Middle Eastern foods available at the Clifton store do not seem to be available at the Wayne store. As I said before, however, the Wayne store does have some items that you couldn't find in Clifton as well.

The Clifton Corrado's is in a league of its own. If all of the gourmet shops in NJ got into a fight, the Clifton Corrado's would destory all of the others without a scratch. The Wayne Corrado's is a wonderful addition to the legacy, but it has a lot more in common with some of the other suburban gourmet shops in the area, like Maywood Market, Market Basket, and Zeytinia. It's a kinder, gentler, more refined version of its rough & tumble but still exciting and lovable big brother.

I will definitely be back to both locations!

But have you tasted the Bracciole? The pork one is delicious, my husband and just looked at each other and both went Mmmmmmmm

And the price on spices was great 1.59oz jar of whole cloves was 1.99 thats over 4 bucks in Stop and Shop

ooooh and the bacon, the bacon is wonderfull. Cooks up straight and crispy no water leaking out of it into the pan and the price is fair even though its sold rind on in the chunks, you can save the rind for soup anyway

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

But have you tasted the Bracciole? The pork one is delicious, my husband and just looked at each other and both went Mmmmmmmm

And the price on spices was great 1.59oz jar of whole cloves was 1.99 thats over 4 bucks in Stop and Shop

ooooh and the bacon, the bacon is wonderfull. Cooks up straight and crispy no water leaking out of it into the pan and the price is fair even though its sold rind on in the chunks, you can save the rind for soup anyway

tracey

Haven't tasted the bracciole yet, but I bought two pieces each of pork and beef, along with some chop meat and sausage. I'm going to make a pot of "Wednesday Gravy" this week!

what time is dinner?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association