• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a 5 Star Hotel Near Ginza

LordBalthazar

Well, my wife had to bow out of our Asia trip for the second year in the row but rather than sit this one out as well, I've decided to fly solo. Armed with my Michelin and Zagat guides, I planning to hit as many of the top picks as possible.

Since most are located in the Ginza area, I thought I'd stay in or near the area. The last few times we traveled to Tokyo, we stayed at The Imperial Hotel and The Hotel Seiyo, both of which were within easy walk distance of the Ginza scene. This year, I'm thinking of either The Peninsula or The Four Seasons Marunouchi, or The Mandarin Oriental Hotel (where I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Tapas Molecular Bar).

Are any of the aforementioned within easy walking distance of Ginza? A quick glance at my map would suggest so but then the same guide book suggested the Park Hyatt was a well-located. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

LB

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Since most are located in the Ginza area, I thought I'd stay in or near the area. The last few times we traveled to Tokyo, we stayed at The Imperial Hotel and The Hotel Seiyo, both of which were within easy walk distance of the Ginza scene. This year, I'm thinking of either The Peninsula or The Four Seasons Marunouchi, or The Mandarin Oriental Hotel (where I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Tapas Molecular Bar).

-------------------------------------

In rough order of closeness to the Ginza 4-chome intersection (corner of Wako dept store) -- Seiyo, Penninsula, Imperial (all ~5 minute walk). Four Seasons is near Tokyo station -- maybe 10-15 minute walk. Mandarin is in Nihonbashi -- 15-20 minute walk. YMMV

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I stayed at The Peninsula and had a truly wonderful time - so much so that I've planned a return trip in about three weeks. I'll be staying at The Peninsula again.

As for a rundown of a last year's trip...

Start here: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/november-23-2008-tokyo-day-1-the-sock-hunt-the-dalloyau-vs-pierre-hermes-macaron-throwdown/

And work your way through each daily update. One of the best things I ate: the matcha opera cake at Sadaharu Aoki. Worst thing: the cuttlefish ice cream from Namco Namja's Ice Cream City.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com