• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Possible Week Vacation

mattohara

Hey all, my first post here in the Texas forums.

My girl works at the Omni hotel and the Omni Mandalay is hosting a training session for some crazy hotel software that they use. I have vacation time that I have to use up, but not tons of money (we just spent a couple of days in New Orleans (Louisiana forums post)for a work thing *I* had to do).

So I'm guessing that this trip would edumacate me about tex-mex, barbeque and...?

Also what's the weather going to be like there in November? If I go it will be from the 9th to the 14th. Will it be hot enough to sit out at the pool? If so, can I get a tan? Can you tell I'm from the great white pale north?

Also also we're going to be in Irving. Is more of the good stuff in Dallas or Ft. Worth? Is there anything killer to eat in Irving? Is transportation to and fro easy?

Finally is there non-food stuff that we should be doing if I go? Resources that I should look at online? I basically just have this weekend to figure this out. All help greatly appreciated!

Matt

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Yes, the Mandalay.  I suppose we could get a car for a day.  Do you mean we just have to get into Dallas or Fort Worth, or do you mean everything's really spread out and even getting into town won't be enough?

Things are pretty spread out, but getting into (or on the way into) Dallas or Ft. Worth for a day will give you plenty of places to eat Tex-Mex and barbecue.

Are you looking for traditional Tex-Mex, Mex-Tex, taquerias, or something more toward Mexican fine dining? Beer, wine, tequila?

Ft. Worth -

Joe T Garcias for Tex-Mex

Manny's Alta Cocina Mexicana for creative Mexican finer dining

Some other members may have a bunch of suggestions this morning. I'll be back later today, but gotta go for now.

it's spread out. You'll need a car. I don't know much of anything in Ft. Worth that I can recommend other the already mentioned Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana. I just don't ever get to Ft. Worth. I can recommend more places in Dallas.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Yes, the Mandalay.  I suppose we could get a car for a day.  Do you mean we just have to get into Dallas or Fort Worth, or do you mean everything's really spread out and even getting into town won't be enough?

Everything is very spread out. Dallas and Ft Worth are two different worlds. In Ft Worth, besides Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicano, there are Tim Love's places, Lonesome Dove and his burger joint which I am losing the name right this minute. The Knox-Henderson area of Dallas has a lot of restaurants. The DFW was built around the automobile. I was there Friday and it took me an hour to get from the Central freeway down 635 to Mesquite, a distance of 13 miles.

the burger joints name is Love Shack.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!