• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dedy guitar noise

purple-klick

I'm really excited because I just received my new Dedy guitar. It was priceless to be able to read through the eGullet postings for help in making my decision about which one to purchase. Thanks everyone!

I put the frame onto the base and when I bring the frame down it makes a screeching noise beginning about 3/4 of the way down. It does come down all the way easily. I haven't tried it with ganache yet. I placed a small felt circle on the rear left side joint and that seemed to help a bit, but I guess I was expecting silence.

Does your Dedy work silently? Will the sound be lessened when a slab of ganache is placed on the base? For the cost, I want it to work as well as possible. It would be great to hear from those of you who've worked with these guitars.

Thank you!

Oh. That's different. It shouldn't rub on the slots, it should come down in the middle of the slots.

Are the strings taut or loose?

Is the frame turned the right way around? ie when you stand the frame up on it's own does it bend way over backwards or stand pretty much straight up?

I took another look and the strings start screeching because they come into contact with the sides of the slots at the raised front lip of the base (the lip that keeps the ganache from sliding forward off the base). Some of the strings are hitting on the left sides of the slots and others are hitting on the right. All strings are tightened in the same direction around the screws.

Thank you for the ideas, Kerry. I want to get some feedback before I go through the work and wait of exchanging the guitar.

I have a 7.5 mm base with a 30 mm frame.

I think the frames for the 5mm base and the 7.5mm base are different (although I might be wrong), you would think a 30mm frame should fit both bases (at least the wires should). But it's weird that they are hitting on both sides - that just doesn't seem right!

And Luis - pictures please! - could you post them in the thread about Morato's book Chocolate?

The frame attaches at the back of the base. The raised lip that I'm referring to is at the front of the base, closest to my body when I'm standing in front of it. When the frame is almost completely lowered (finishing the cut, if I had a slab of ganache on the base) the strings drag and screech against the edges of the slots in the lip. The sound is loud and of a frequency like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Does anyone have a Dedy that does this? Do you just put up with the noise? Or are all the other Dedys out there quiet?

Thanks for any feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

Where did you purchase the Dedy? What specs/options did you choose? Thanks.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have a 7.5 mm base with a 30 mm frame.

I think the frames for the 5mm base and the 7.5mm base are different (although I might be wrong), you would think a 30mm frame should fit both bases (at least the wires should). But it's weird that they are hitting on both sides - that just doesn't seem right!

And Luis - pictures please! - could you post them in the thread about Morato's book Chocolate?

Here's a link: Chocolate Book by Ramon Morato

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”