• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Supply Store in or around Palermo

scase805

Ciao,

My girlfriend and I recently moved to Sicily and we are looking to purchase some items for our kitchen (she is a professional chef). We're living in a small town that doesn't have much to offer for kitchen supplies. We are going to take a trip into Palermo on Saturday and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to shop for kitchen supplies. Specifically, all we can find in town are non-stick pans, and she would like a regular pan!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

I ran into similar problems there too. The non-sticks aren't bad and a lot of restaurants use them too, as the standard pan...weird!

I'm pretty sure that you can find pans at stores that say "alimentari" on the sign...

You know - you could always order online ...

http://www.aziende-siciliane.com/index.cfm

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed you was just there for three weeks.

There are tons of pans here that are non stick!

mostly alluminium!!! Great high heat!

Contact Vincenzo at the restaurant CinCin in palermo.. he speaks english( lived in Baton Rouge)

Thanks for the suggestion. We are heading into Palermo on Saturday - I'll give Vincenzo a call tonight!

We also found an area right off of Ballaro that had a plethora of pans. But I'm interested to hear a professional's opinion!

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on what we find!

Sorry I missed you was just there for three weeks.

There are tons of pans here that are non stick!

mostly alluminium!!! Great high heat!

Contact Vincenzo at the restaurant CinCin in palermo.. he speaks english( lived in Baton Rouge)

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

most local hardware stores have clay, alluminum and triple bottom stainless pans.. as well as kitchen stores.

yes there is a whole area of town, where the metal stuff is. not in ballaro.

how professional do you need to be???

I have clay pots, alluminium, cast iron, triple bottom stainless steel... depending on what I am cooking, but not full sets of any of them!