• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Career Decisions

Toufas

good and normal job with good money? (chain with 15 restaurants around the world opening one in the uk)

harder job with better money? (restaurant with a chef from a good place looking for another member for their team maybe looking for michelin)

better job on the long run with shit money? (michelin aspirations for sure in a boutique hotel,or hilton that means a faceless person)

I'm not a "pro," but in this, as with most everything in life, I think it's helpful to ask yourself what are your final goals? Where do you see yourself in five years, ten, twenty? Do you want a decent job with good benefits and regular hours so you can get home to a family? Do you want to eventually open your own place so that saving money now is a concern? Do you want an independent life of fun and adventure?

Figure out what your goals are and then work toward them.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"Long run" aka 10+ years...? If so, that's a lot of years in just one restaurant. Haven't met many last that long at one place.

If it was me, I would take the "harder job, with more money." I don't know how old you are, or how long you've been cooking in a kitchen; but may as well push yourself to learn from the better now, then go from there.

Btw, what kind of job are you even doing? Chef, commis, plongeur? FoH?

Jim

I'm not a pro either, but I'd say three job choices in this economy is a good thing, or even a lucky thing. So as others say, evaluate your priorities in life and where you want to be in 5 or ten years from now, then pick the job that will help you get there.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

went to the induction for the chain today....it was like being in a steak fast food. reading marco pierre whites biography these days made me hate it even more. i want to progress and learn new things. not be a robot all the time. no offence to the people working there, but i have higher ambitions!

will go for my trial on the good money more hours (well its 3 days morning till night and one half day shift per week)

the hotels (both the trendy one and hilton) are paying little money. the trendy one looks promising as they are redoing the menu from next year with michelin aspirations, but i dont want to borrow more money from my family in order to support myself.

went to the induction for the chain today....it was like being in a steak fast food. reading marco pierre whites biography these days made me hate it even more. i want to progress and learn new things. not be a robot all the time. no offence to the people working there, but i have higher ambitions!

will go for my trial on the good money more hours (well its 3 days morning till night and one half day shift per week)

the hotels (both the trendy one and hilton) are paying little money. the trendy one looks promising as they are redoing the menu from next year with michelin aspirations, but i dont want to borrow more money from my family in order to support myself.

Looks like you're narrowing it down according to your priorities pretty well. :smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

and of course i am in doubt again...

the office that got me in the chain restaurant (meat and wine) told me that if i show skill and abilities i will be for a pay rise within 3 months, and that it will help me learn more about meat basically....

to top it off the main chef guy in meat and wine is someone that worked in nobu and maze...

edit: the salary isnt that much different either. if you add tips on meat and wine i will be getting more than the northbank

Edited by Toufas (log)

Is there any way you can talk to the main chef guy in meat? Pick his brains on why he is where he is--what made him choose that path? How does he feel about being where he is now? Sometimes it's good to hear about other people's experiences first-hand.

That's the long hours job? 40-ish hours a week? That's probably about what I get paid for if I worked it out to hourly but I'm lucky if I put in less than double that. And it's the good money job as well? Wouldn't be too difficult a choice for me as long as there's opportunity to learn and you'll enjoy what you're doing. I've done the starving artist thing... it's overrated. It's not like you have to pick one and do only that forever.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.