• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food hunt group in singapore anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
Is anyone interested in looking for hidden gems in Singapore or discussing food and cooking?

There aren't so many Singapore-based posters here. If you're looking for meet-up type events, you might want to try the forums at makansutra.com. They have meetings every month or so.

I'll be in Singapore for a few days in December/January. If you find anything new and exciting before then, please post about it! The only place on my list so far is a Buddhist vegetarian place near Maxwell Road hawker stalls. Sounds strange, but they make a very good mock fish head soup that my mother wants to investigate further.

Absolutely, I'm interested hearing and sharing a few hidden gems and places off the beaten track in Singapore. Not so much the tourist experiences or classy food establishments, but local haunts which don't make the guide books.... places which really make you smile and want to recommend to all your friends.

Let me kick off:

Steaks --> Tim's Steakhouse in Toa Payoh. Ok, weird topic to start off with, but steaks seem to be something which has no nice middle ground in Singapore.... they're expensive to buy from the supermarket, they're cheap and slimy at the hawker centre, or burn a hole in your pocket at Moretons, Raffles Grill, etc. However, Tim's solves this problem in style. I swear it is the best tasting steak you'll get in Singapore for under $15 including sides, drink and dessert (and if you're trying to compare this with Astons. It doesn't compare! Tim's is sooo much better). Tim is Nepali and ex-chef from Vines Steakhouse, so he also has a great Nepalese selection on the menu.

Inespensive buffets with good local fare --> Chilli Padi Cafe at Bugis, or Quality Hotel on Balestier (both are <$15 for dinner with a good spread of food and desserts)

Rojak --> Hoover Rd Rojak at Whampoa Hawker Centre. The right blend of sweet and sour, crispy, crunchy and chewy. The guy does it by hand, in individual portions every time, the good old way. It doesn't compare to anything else I've tried in Singapore. This is attested by the long queues ever lunchtime.

Buddhist vegetarian mock meat --> Food stall next to Allson Hotel at Bugis. prasantrin, I recommend you try it! It is the best mock meat place I've ever tried (they have fish, steak, chicken and you could fool anyone). It's the big stall on the right hand side with all the meat dishes lists ;) Even, my friend who hates vegetables and vegetariansm with a passion dines at this place, and actually recommends it to his friend!

Chilli crab --> No Signboard in Geylang Non touristy and the original. Enough said.

Black pepper crab --> East Coast Hawker Cetnre.

Fish --> Fish&Co . Ok, maybe this isn't a backstreet gem nor a local delight, but it's my favourite for fish. If you haven't been, give it a go!

Over to you guys.....

Absolutely, I'm interested hearing and sharing a few hidden gems and places off the beaten track in Singapore.  Not so much the tourist experiences or classy food establishments, but local haunts which don't make the guide books.... places which really make you smile and want to recommend to all your friends.

Let me kick off:

Steaks --> Tim's Steakhouse in Toa Payoh.  Ok, weird topic to start off with, but steaks seem to be something which has no nice middle ground in Singapore.... they're expensive to buy from the supermarket, they're cheap and slimy at the hawker centre, or burn a hole in your pocket at Moretons, Raffles Grill, etc.  However, Tim's solves this problem in style.  I swear it is the best tasting steak you'll get in Singapore for under $15 including sides, drink and dessert (and if you're trying to compare this with Astons.  It doesn't compare! Tim's is sooo much better).  Tim is Nepali and ex-chef from Vines Steakhouse, so he also has a great Nepalese selection on the menu.

I totally hear you! It's always great to get tip-offs on hidden gems and so much fun to seek them out :)

Am looking forward to checking out Tim's in the next couple of days :)

On the subject of good quality, reasonably priced Western food, my latest favourite place to go is Big D's Grill in Bedok South. The owner Damian is an old-school cook who does everything from scratch and, at the risk of sounding cliched, insists on good quality ingredients. You're not going to find the local Western foodstall standards such as chicken cutlet, fried chicken wings etc here. His menu includes an excellent (snapper) fish and (homemade thick-cut) chips, crabmeat linguine and even his sides are very well made - buttery pumpkin mash and purple coleslaw.

I'm all for a makan session with fellow egulleteers in S'p :) Perhaps those who are keen can set out a couple of possible dates and we can get rolling from there?

OB

Amateur cook, professional foodie!

Thanks OrangeBlossom for adding to this! Big D's Grill sounds like it's worth a visit.

Another thing which jumped to my mind:

Nicholas Le Restaurant - it's not cheap makan, but it's cheaper than its esteemed cohort of Les Amis, St Pierre, St Julien, etcm and is yet to hit the food guides. They serve a set degustation menu with high quality produced and inspired presentation, aiming to be amongst the top tier fine dining establishments in Singapore. And it would nearly be.... the ambience is a little hard around the edges and there's something lacking, but for the price, it's worth a gernsey.

Anyone know where to get good fried kway teow (malaysian style with the flat noodles... none of these singapore noodle additions) or penang laksa?

Edited by Piglit (log)

As always hawker food is the best in Singapore and Malaysia

I love the blend, the secrecy surrounding a specific produce and I enjoy eating thoroughly.

I do not include Char Kway Tiao or Tsa Hor Fun in the same category as we all know the secret is a very hot and seasoned wok.

As always hawker food is the best in Singapore and Malaysia

I love the blend, the secrecy surrounding a specific produce and I enjoy eating thoroughly.

I do not include Char Kway Tiao or Tsa Hor Fun in the same category as we all know the secret is a very hot and seasoned wok.

Piazzola, very observant! If I may point out, hawker food in Singapore and Malaysia can be the worst too, if one picks badly and chooses the pisang goreng uncle who adds extra crispy through extraneous plastic substances. It's like me going to Melbourne thinking all the pastries are great, but then choosing Footscray as my eating location and getting a hefty dosage of tasty staphylococcus with my bun.

Any places you particulary like Piazzola? I'm always in need of good kway tiao recommendations.....

• 2 months later...

ah, makansutra annoys me. heh, sorry. Kway teow, zion road and old airport road are pretty well known for their char kway teows, btw, for thai food, i've found that ah roi/loi can't remember which at shaw towers in the bugis area is fantastic especially for the price.