• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

panna cotta gelato

savvysearch

Well, panna cotta is essentially cream, sugar, and gelatin, so I think adding eggs (in a custard base) would sort of make it not panna cotta. Likewise, I don't think you need gelatin since you're freezing it.

What qualities of panna cotta are you hoping to capture in your ice cream?

Isn't having panna cotta flavored ice cream sort of like having ice cream flavored panna cotta? :laugh:

Yeah, I think so. I'm not sure what the goal is here unless it's to sound interesting on a menu. In that case, just call a batch of eggless vanilla ice cream "panna cotta ice cream". Maybe use a little gelatin as the stabilizer so all of the base panna cotta ingredients are there. Artistic license to naming food happens all the time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

whoever said they are making panna cotta gelato is pulling your leg. Thats like saying your making puff pastry cake. what?

Since panna cotta doesn't have a distinctive "flavor" you can't make it into another texture. It is panna cotta because of the texture. SO once you churn it, its not panna cotta, its eggless ice cream that seems to have gelatin in it for some reason.

There are plenty of recipes for icce cream that do not use eggs, so this idea is misconstrued, sorry.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Thanks. I figured it was probably some euphemism for flavorless ice cream. I tasted "panna cotta" gelato at the gelato counter at Whole Foods that I wanted to duplicate. I can't recall the taste. I thought it was eggy tasting but maybe I'm wrong.

If it was eggy, maybe it was crema gelato, or custard gelato, a popular flavor in Italy. I would make it with some very flavorful milk or cream, like the Straus organic brand, & garnish it with fruit compote and/or cookies.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...D-GELATO-103830

Thanks you so much! I have a feeling that this might be the one. I'll give it a try.