• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bartending for a 125-person party in New York

Kent Wang

...A note for any newbies like m'self trying to look this up in Imbibe!, it's listed as Philadelphia Fish-House Punch...

emphasis added

And a fine large batch beverage it is. I've made several versions of this, as well as written about it, but the basics always include rum, brandy/cognac, peach/apricot brandy, sugar and lemon, and sometimes brewed tea. Depending on which source you believe, the date of its creation is either 1732, and it was the "starter beverage" for the meetings of the Schuylkill Fishing Club, or was concocted in 1848 by Mr. Shippen Willing of Philadelphia, to celebrate the occasion of allowing the ladies to attend the annual Christmas party of the State Fishing and Social Club of Pennsylvania.

Regardless of which fishing club created it, it's damned tasty stuff and a real crowd pleaser.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I'm going to restrict the menu to what I have above, possibly add mulled cider, for the sake of ease of service and minimize having left over bottles.

I still need a recommendation as to where to purchase the liquor.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I'm going to restrict the menu to what I have above, possibly add mulled cider, for the sake of ease of service and minimize having left over bottles.

I still need a recommendation as to where to purchase the liquor.

Why not go to your favorite liquor where you live and bring it with you on the plane? Or maybe have your friend who lives in Brooklyn choose a place. Whichever is easier.

Most liquor stores in Manhattan deliver - Astor has free delivery for all orders over $100 or 12 bottles of wine. For delivery on a Saturday, you should probably plan on ordering and paying on Wednesday or Thursday, at the latest.

K & D on 96th and Madison has good bulk prices, as does Warehouse, on Broadway, near Astor Place.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Where in Brooklyn is the event? I would try BQE liquors at (718) 389-3833. I think they deliver within the borough, their prices are inexplicably cheap and they have a decent selection of cocktailian faves like Rittenhouse BIB, Lairds BIB, Luxardo and the such.

For juices, you may want to consider Manhattan Fruit Exchange at the Chelsea Market. They sell fresh lemon, lime, grapefruit and orange juices by the quart.

Edited by TVC (log)

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

Still recovering from the weekend.

Drinks went over very well with those that were interested, especially the Elderflower Sour. Several people had 5 drinks, while quite a few abstained completely. Only 50 people showed instead of 150, so my friend now has a bunch of leftover booze. 50 people was also a very easy load for one person to handle, though I had my girlfriend assisting so we could take turns. I feel that I could easily handle 150 if I had another assistant.

Thanks all for the tips. I got most everything from BQE.

I would definetily keep it as simple as possible and make sure of having tons and tons of ice.

www.amountainofcrushedice.com

Tiki drinks are deceptive..if you think you can gulp them down like milk you´re wrong.