• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

doughgirl

Croissant Troubleshooting

62 posts in this topic

Thanks for your reply...The top layer of the croissant brakes off. We use very little or almost no flour to roll are croissants out.

How many turns do you give your croissants? Is the dough sticky? Do you egg wash them?

Sounds like you're proving them too fast. Give them two long, slow proofs - one for the un-folded dough, one for the finished croissant - and they'll hold their shape better. It's a good idea to egg-wash them twice as well, just after rolling and just before baking.

We do two turns, but each turn has five folds (8# dough). How does egg washing them twice help them? my dough is not sticky

Does anyone no the % of butter that goes into a laminate? We put 3 pounds butter for every 8 pounds of dough.

Normally I tend to stay with 25% butter into lamination. 3# butter into 8# dough seems to be a little too much, that's is closer to 38%?? Are you rolling these croissants out by hand or sheeter?, if you are using a sheeting what are the thickness you are sheeting to, both folds and make-up.

In the past I have notice the thicker the sheeting the problems you have describe has happen.

When laminating we try to go down between 4 to 5 on the sheeter. When sheeting down to cut we go to 3 3/4. your boys are very cute....

Try this next time around if you can make an extra dough to laminate:

Laminate to 10-9mm for the folds(one double, one single. or 3 single)

Make up: 3 1/2 -3

reduce butter to 25%(if you are adding flour to the butter pats, only add 4oz per dough)

I think another problem is the butter when you laminate is getting too thin into the dough causing it to crack. Remember the butter is also a steam leavening for laminating dough's.

Thank you for the comment on the kids, I need to update the photo, I have a daughter in the mix.

1 person likes this

We do two turns, but each turn has five folds (8# dough). How does egg washing them twice help them? my dough is not sticky

Does anyone no the % of butter that goes into a laminate? We put 3 pounds butter for every 8 pounds of dough.

Egg wash them twice to make them look better and stop the layers separating in the oven. I don't think it's necessary to reduce the butter content that much: I've always had good results with 31%.

The problem might be your folds. 2 x 5 folds might make the dough too thin, maybe try the standard 3 x 3?

Egg wash them twice to make them look better and stop the layers separating in the oven. I don't think it's necessary to reduce the butter content that much: I've always had good results with 31%.

The problem might be your folds. 2 x 5 folds might make the dough too thin, maybe try the standard 3 x 3?

Thanks I will try this

How many of you put flour in with your butter blocks before laminating I have never tried this? If so how much flour do you put in.

I normally do not put flour in the butter pats, but some people do. I have the norm 4oz bread flour per dough mix with the butter in the mixer. example: 4 croissant dough's...16oz flour for the pats

Thanks to everyone for helping out my croissant problem they have been fixed for now. By changing the butter to 25% my flaps stopped unrolling. I also froze my croissant for a few hours after rolling them which helped control yeast growth. :)

1 person likes this