• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised Brisket -- Cook-Off 43

weinoo

• 6 months later...

I'd say slicing makes a big difference for a braised brisket that isn't cooked so long that it's falling apart. A brisket that's perfectly good sliced against the grain can be tough and stringy sliced with the grain. I had an aunt who sliced with the grain to get longer slices, and they took a lot longer to chew than shorter slices against the grain.

In our family we did horseradish with brisket. Fresh grated with vinegar is best, if you like it strong. Horseradish grated with beets, or red horseradish from a jar, has a bit more complex flavor and isn't quite as rough on the nasal passages.

I posted our family recipe on my sister's "Family of Food" blog a while back. My posts are generally under "Son of Food"--

http://familyoffood.blogspot.com/2008/01/j...-soul-food.html

• 3 months later...

It's brisket weather and I just reread every post in the topic to get ready for tomorrow's meal. I'm wondering if anyone's got new ideas to share; I think I'm going with the standard braise I describe at the head of the topic, but I'm sure there are those more adventurous out there!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It's brisket weather and I just reread every post in the topic to get ready for tomorrow's meal. I'm wondering if anyone's got new ideas to share; I think I'm going with the standard braise I describe at the head of the topic, but I'm sure there are those more adventurous out there!

I may too late to the party for dinner tonight, but the Slow-Braised Beef and Potatoes from The Revolutionary Chinese cookbook has become a favorite in our house (and it sounds like it's a fav in Bruce's house, as well). I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work with brisket...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yep, a bit late: I went with the standard, adding a bit of bacon and tomato paste to the porcini & mirepoix basic set up. In foil at 225F right now.

Bacon makes everything better.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 years later...

Braised brisket is delicious! I included details about my favorite recipe here on the "Cooking from Sunday Suppers at Lucques" thread.

I would also love to see what other people are doing with brisket (there are already some great examples on this thread!).