• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weinoo

Braised Brisket -- Cook-Off 43

83 posts in this topic

I just made the brisket yesterday but we won't be eating it until tonight. But of course I sampled, and it was delicious. I used the CI onion-brased method in The New Best Recipe cookbook. Lots of onions. Three pounds of sliced onions to three pounds of brisket, but I upped the brisket. The one I bought was about 9#, and I cut off a third of that to save to make a beef stew later. So, the meat was the only thing doubled, and there was still plenty of gravy. The onions cook down in the gravy and it's probably even better than the brisket. The only thing I don't do by the recipe is add the little bit of vinegar at the end. I don't mind it, but the family thinks it has a funny taste.

That's one thing I always do with brisket -- save some of it for a beef stew. So, while the brisket was cooking (it only cooks 3 hours at 300 deg F), I browned the meat for the beef stew and cooked the base for the stew. This went in the freezer, and when we want stew, all I have to do is add the vegetables and we're done.

Chris, thanks for the heads up on David Thompson's penang. The idea of braising the meat first, and then adding the coconut milk and paste is genius. You'll get the flavour of the beef, with the curry "stuff" without sacrificing the flavour of the beef.

But, one of the techniques I learned from Paula Wolfert was to hold the braise for the next day, separating the meat from the liquid. Basically, remove the meat, seal tightly in a ziplock. Liquid in another container. Both in the fridge, which makes taking the fat of the liquid very easy. Reheat gently in the oven. I do like doing this, and find it makes a big difference. She even advocates doing this process twice, which makes for an even more succulent dish (think rinse and repeat!).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Chris, thanks for the heads up on David Thompson's penang.  The idea of braising the meat first, and then adding the coconut milk and paste is genius.  You'll get the flavour of the beef, with the curry "stuff" without sacrificing the flavour of the beef.

Actually, you braise it in coconut milk and then create the curry base with coconut cream and the paste, retaining the cooking milk to use to moisten later if you'd like. (He first uses the technique I've learned from Chinese cooking in which you place the meat in cold water, bring it to a boil, rinse the meat, and toss the mucky cooking liquid.) The cooking milk is very beefy, and as a result you can create two very different curries: one with that meaty umami from the braising liquid, the other a cleaner, delicate curry which the slices of brisket carry.

But, one of the techniques I learned from Paula Wolfert was to hold the braise for the next day, separating the meat from the liquid.  Basically, remove the meat, seal tightly in a ziplock.  Liquid in another container.  Both in the fridge, which makes taking the fat of the liquid very easy.  Reheat gently in the oven.  I do like doing this, and find it makes a big difference.  She even advocates doing this process twice, which makes for an even more succulent dish (think rinse and repeat!).

I agree with Susan: this is a fantastic technique and I use it myself all the time.

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Finally reporting on Saturday's cooking of CI's braised brisket.

As mentioned up thread, I actually had two brisket pieces, a 3lb and a 2lb. These got browned first:

gallery_31076_6262_224296.jpg

Next came the onions, which picked up the nice fond created by the meat:

gallery_31076_6262_170299.jpg

Once the onions have softened, you add tomato paste and paprika:

gallery_31076_6262_349286.jpg

Finally, after the addition of a few more ingredients, like red wine, chicken broth and bay leaf, you pour the onion mixture into a big foil envelope inside a baking pan, and nestle the browned brisket on top:

gallery_31076_6262_8055.jpg

Here's my brisket all tucked into its foil blankie and ready for the oven:

gallery_31076_6262_88575.jpg

And four hours later -- heaven! My terrible photography makes the meat look dried out here, but it was very succulent.

gallery_31076_6262_141459.jpg

The flavor of the meat from this recipe is really incredible. Next time, though, I think I would just use a baking pan of the right size and cover it tightly with foil, instead of putting the meat inside the foil inside the pan. Inevitably, the foil leaks and makes a mess in the pan anyway. Why lose any of that great juice?

There wasn't enough pan juice this time to make it worth while to separate the meat from the juice when I stored the leftovers overnight, and the meat wasn't terribly fatty, so I don't think it made a difference anyway. Besides, my husband can't be trusted with a container of carmelized onion in the fridge.

I haven't been seeing a fat cap -- if that's the right word for layer of fat atop a brisket. I had one and kept it for sure. Do people usually trim it off?

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

When we cook the 20# big boys, we get them with the fat cap and leave most of it on. Unfortunately, most of my customers don't want a lot of fat, so the smaller ones come in without much (almost none). A good layer of fat is a great thing when cooking a brisket.

I'm with Pam -- leave most of the fat cap on. You can easily remove the fat from the liquid later, and a person can always cut any fat remaining off the cooked brisket.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

We were having guests for dinner last night, so I decided to make a brisket. My butcher (Jeffrey, at the Essex St. Market) had a whole brisket for me if I wanted it - 12 pounds, but I decided to go with the flat - sometimes they look like this on both sides:

gallery_6902_6266_77048.jpg

but the one I bought looked like this:

gallery_6902_6266_16315.jpg

By the way, it weighed 6 pounds, and cost $2.99 a pound, which is the same price Jeffrey charges for the whole thing. I cut it into a 4 pound piece and a 2 pound piece, and since we were 4 for dinner, I cooked the 4 pounder.

Interestingly enough, I've never really followed a recipe for brisket, I just cook 'em like I see 'em. But, checking out the CI recipe talked about above, my method is pretty much the same...and here's the other ingredients that go into it:

gallery_6902_6266_34205.jpg

I like to brown the brisket really well, though some recipes call for cooking without browning; here's what it looks like after browning the fat cap:

gallery_6902_6266_37530.jpg

Then, after browning the second side, I sauteed a few chopped onions till well browned, and deglazed the pot with red wine and chicken stock. Nested in it's bath, covered with onions and garlic and herbs, here's the meat before going into the oven:

gallery_6902_6266_13661.jpg

After 3.5 hours in the oven at 280 degrees, the meat was nice and tender...(but you should check yours starting earlier). The brisket was removed and allowed to cool for a few hours, to firm it up for slicing. The cooking liquid was strained (and the onions were saved to add back) and defatted, and then thickened with a bit of beurre manie. Here's the meat, sliced (with a bit of fat on each piece), and ready to be covered with some of the gravy, covered and put back in a 250 degree oven to be reheated:

gallery_6902_6266_79155.jpg

Everyone ate their fill, along with roasted winter squashes and red potatoes and garlicky green beans. And I can't wait to have a sandwich with the leftover beef.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The beef penang recipe I've been using is from David Thompson's outstanding Thai Food, and he parboils the beef in boiling water, drains it, and only then braises the beef in coconut milk. When it's done, you slice it into relative thick slices, fry the paste you've been pounding for 45 minutes in cracked coconut cream, and then simmer the whole thing in some more coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, and a few other things. It's sublime, really showing off the tender texture of the brisket in the silky curry sauce.

Ah...it's been a while since I've cooked this and now I am not able to take it out of my mind. It is deliciouse.

Another reason to cook the meat in water instead of simmering it in coconut milk for a long time is that it helps keep the coconut milk from breaking down and retains its freshness.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I usually brown roasts before making pot roast (chuck/shoulder/minute/etc.) but I don't brown briskets. I have no good excuse -- other than my mom and dad (who taught me how to cook a brisket) don't. And that works for me. But now I'm curious, does everybody brown their briskets before parking them in the oven?

I usually brown roasts before making pot roast (chuck/shoulder/minute/etc.) but I don't brown briskets. I have no good excuse -- other than my mom and dad (who taught me how to cook a brisket) don't.  And that works for me.  But now I'm curious, does everybody brown their briskets before parking them in the oven?

Yeah, like Chris, I like to get a nice fond going. It just adds another layer of flavor, I think.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

We were having guests for dinner last night, so I decided to make a brisket.  My butcher (Jeffrey, at the Essex St. Market) had a whole brisket for me if I wanted it - 12 pounds, but I decided to go with the flat - sometimes they look like this on both sides:

gallery_6902_6266_77048.jpg

but the one I bought looked like this:

gallery_6902_6266_16315.jpg

By the way, it weighed 6 pounds, and cost $2.99 a pound, which is the same price Jeffrey charges for the whole thing.  I cut it into a 4 pound piece and a 2 pound piece, and since we were 4 for dinner, I cooked the 4 pounder.

Interestingly enough, I've never really followed a recipe for brisket, I just cook 'em like I see 'em.  But, checking out the CI recipe talked about above, my method is pretty much the same...and here's the other ingredients that go into it:

gallery_6902_6266_34205.jpg

I like to brown the brisket really well, though some recipes call for cooking without browning; here's what it looks like after browning the fat cap:

gallery_6902_6266_37530.jpg

Then, after browning the second side, I sauteed a few chopped onions till well browned, and deglazed the pot with red wine and chicken stock.  Nested in it's bath, covered with onions and garlic and herbs, here's the meat before going into the oven:

gallery_6902_6266_13661.jpg

After 3.5 hours in the oven at 280 degrees, the meat was nice and tender...(but you should check yours starting earlier).  The brisket was removed and allowed to cool for a few hours, to firm it up for slicing.  The cooking liquid was strained (and the onions were saved to add back) and defatted, and then thickened with a bit of  beurre manie.  Here's the meat, sliced (with a bit of fat on each piece), and ready to be covered with some of the gravy, covered and put back in a 250 degree oven to be reheated:

gallery_6902_6266_79155.jpg

Everyone ate their fill, along with roasted winter squashes and red potatoes and garlicky green beans. And I can't wait to have a sandwich with the leftover beef.

Gorgeous Mitch! I can almost smell it from here.

Browning is a good thing!

I have a question, does anyone else like a horseradish sauce with brisket?

We just came back from Friuli, and up in the northern parts, they shave fresh horseradish on all sorts of things. I think it would be excellent on that brisket. Save me a piece.

We just came back from Friuli, and up in the northern parts, they shave fresh horseradish on all sorts of things. I think it would be excellent on that brisket. Save me  a piece.

I've never seen it served with a "traditional Jewish" style brisket, as the sauce is usually made from the cooking liquid, but it sure sounds good to me...and rather than save a piece, we'll just make a nice, fresh one...and play around with some horseradish as well.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

We just came back from Friuli, and up in the northern parts, they shave fresh horseradish on all sorts of things. I think it would be excellent on that brisket. Save me  a piece.

I've never seen it served with a "traditional Jewish" style brisket, as the sauce is usually made from the cooking liquid, but it sure sounds good to me...and rather than save a piece, we'll just make a nice, fresh one...and play around with some horseradish as well.

Sounds like a plan to me! :wub::cool::laugh:

By the way, it weighed 6 pounds, and cost $2.99 a pound, which is the same price Jeffrey charges for the whole thing. 

I can't my head around this price. Kosher first cut brisket sells for $14.99/lb in Manhattan. For Shemini Atzeret I made a 4.5 brisket. Braised in beer and chili sauce with lots of vegetables. Served 7 for dinner and we were left with enough leftovers to serve the two of us for two meals.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have received a brisket, the flat! (Thanks Cali!!!)

Pam, I would like to know a little more about the foil package method. Do you place the foil packet just on a sheet pan or in a dutch oven? I'm assuming with this method, there's no ability to make sauce?

I haven't decided whether to braise this piece yet or try the foil packet method, which sounds really good to me!

Marlene

cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Pam, I would like to know a little more about the foil package method.  Do you place the foil packet just on a sheet pan or in a dutch oven?  I'm assuming with this method, there's no ability to make sauce? 

I haven't decided whether to braise this piece yet or try the foil packet method, which sounds really good to me!

Your're Welcome. Thanks Kerry for delivering it to Marlene.

I bought the brisket for Marlene @ Wegman's near Buffalo. They only had the first cut and it was 4.49lb.

My mom made incredible brisket for all the Jewish holidays back when I still ate red meat. Isnt there a pretty famous recipe that contains coffee?

Marlene if you want the CI recipe, let me know.

Pam, I would like to know a little more about the foil package method.  Do you place the foil packet just on a sheet pan or in a dutch oven?  I'm assuming with this method, there's no ability to make sauce? 

Yes, the foil packet goes onto a sheet pan. Just make sure the foil is really well sealed. I like to use the wider, institutional rolls, but if I'm at home, I'll take two sheets of the regular stuff and put one on top of the other. Then at one edge, fold it over about 1/2 an inch a couple of times and then open up the two sheets and they should be sealed in the middle (does this make sense?). Do that so you have a few layers. Place the brisket and everything else in the middle and fold it all up, sealing everything. I can try to take some pictures later if you'd like a clearer picture.

Even if you use the foil packet, you'll get lots of liquid for a sauce -- even if you add very little liquid at the beginning. Brisket will give off plenty of juices. I often add very limited liquid - oil, lots of crushed garlic, onions (browned or . . souped :wink: ) and spices. Shmear the mix allover, wrap it up and when it's done you should have lots of juice.

When I made them a couple of weeks ago, for one of them I browned the onions and then added the garlic and spices and the wine and reduced until it was almost dry (but not quite). When it was cooked there was plenty of liquid that actually could have been reduced, but I was too lazy to reduce it.

BTW, how far are you from Toronto? Briskets are easily found in the northern suburbs and I'm sure elsewhere. Though, I'm afraid to say, if you're not used to buying kosher brisket you'll be shocked at the sticker price. $14.99'lb in Manhattan doesn't sound far of.

I'm about 40 minutes from Toronto, but hubby works in the city so could probably pick some up for me if I can find it!

So, let me see. The brisket is not browned first? I thought I saw crispy bits in one of your photos once!

Foil packet, a few layers. I'm assuming then that the juice does not leak out. In the oven at 250? For 3 hours? Something like that?

And yes, I think I need a photo tutorial on the packet! :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

cookskorner

You did see browned bits - but it wasn't pre-browned. It did that all by itself in the foil. (That doesn't always happen.)

I'd put it in at 275-300 for about 3 hours, but it does depend on the size and thickness.

I'll work on the photos.

Edited by Pam R (log)

Thanks! I'm thinking this will be on the menu Monday or Tuesday!

Marlene

cookskorner

I think the 14.99 is more a byproduct of Kosher first cut, rather than Manhattan. Kosher sells for about that a pound here (Maryland, close to DC) but you can pick it up in supermarkets for about 3.99.

Briskets all look good, but I have to say I usually take slicing a brisket as a sign of failure. I've cooked a fair number including (maybe explaining my bias) some for barbecue competitions and I find sliced brisket doesn't have that 'tender but chewy at the same time,' quality.

Briskets all look good, but I have to say I usually take slicing a brisket as a sign of failure.  I've cooked a fair number including (maybe explaining my bias) some for barbecue competitions and I find sliced brisket doesn't have that 'tender but chewy at the same time,' quality.

What do you do with the brisket if you don't slice it?

And how is slicing it a sign of failure?

mweinstein@eGstaff.org

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Kosher first cut brisket sells for $14.99/lb in Manhattan. 

Within a half a mile of the packing house it runs $12.99. That was last Wednesday before the bank started foreclosure on the plant. They are the largest kosher facility in the US so prices may actually go up in a very soft market. I paid $1.86 at a non-kosher meat locker today.

Edited by StanSherman (log)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      eGullet Recipe Cook-Off Index

Thanks to chrisamirault, every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together over at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off.

The Cook-Off is intended to be a forum at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner, making a dish:
      that you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully; for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required; that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you; from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Off dish; that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories. As we cook and compare, some of us post our recipes on RecipeGullet, the eGullet Society's wonderful database of cooking ideas, instructions, and insight.

Finally, thanks to the internet, remember that you're never too late for an eGullet Cook-Off. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-off recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

We've created this index so all cook-offs are easy to find and join in. We'll keep it updated.

Here is the list:
      Cook-Off 1: Cassoulet Cook-Off 2: Char Siu Bao Cook-Off 3: Gumbo Cook-Off 4: Lamb Curry Cook-Off 5: Fried Chicken Cook-Off 6: Pad Thai Cook-Off 7: Moussaka Cook-Off 8: Pizza Cook-Off 9: Mole Poblano Cook-Off 10: Meatloaf and Burgers Cook-Off 11: Ice Cream, Gelato, Sorbet, and Sherbet Cook-Off 12: Composed Salads Cook-Off 13: Fresh and Stuffed Pasta, including Gnocchi Cook-Off 14: Bibimbap Cook-Off 15: Chili Cook-Off 16: Potato Pancakes Cook-Off 17: Sausages Cook-Off 18: Asian Noodle Soups Cook-Off 19: Eggs, Beaten, With Stuff In Them Cook-Off 20: Chowdah/Chowder Cook-Off 21: Risotto Cook-Off 22: Tempura Cook-Off 23: Crêpes Cook-Off 24: Kebabs, Satays, & Skewers Cook-Off 25: Tamales Cook-Off 26: Soup Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) Cook-Off 27: Daube Cook-Off 28: Mafé (Peanut Stew) Cook-Off 29: Posole/Pozole Cook-Off 30: Felafel/Falafel Cook-Off 31: Paella Cook-Off 32: Pickles Cook-Off 33: Cold Noodle Dishes Cook-Off 34: Ceviche Cook-Off 35: Pot-au-feu/Simmered Meat'n'Veg Cook-Off 36: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Cook-Off 37: Croquettes Cook-Off 38: Feijoada Cook-Off 39: Tacos Cook-Off 40: Cold Soups Cook-Off 41: Jerk Cook-Off 42: Ratatouille Cook-Off 43: Braised Brisket Cook-Off 44: Ossobuco Cook-Off 45: Fries / Frites / Chips Cook-off 46: Enchiladas Cook-off 47: Asian Tofu Dishes Cook-off 48: Grilled Pizza Cook-off 49: Slaws Cook-Off 50: Lamb Stew Cook-Off 51: Chicken and Dumplings Cook-Off 52: Lasagna Cook-Off 53: Grilled Chicken Cook-Off 54: Gratins Cook-Off 55: Shrimp & Grits Cook-Off 56: Savory-Filled Pastry Cook-Off 57: Bolognese sauce Cook-Off 58: Hash Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish Cook-Off 60: Banh Mi Cook-Off 61: Gels, Jell-O and Aspic Cook-Off 62: Squid, Calamari and Octopus Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash Cook-Off 64: Confit Cook-Off 65: Pork Belly Cook-Off 66: Rhubarb Cook-Off 67: Apples Cook-Off 68: Citrus Fruits Cook-Off 69: Beer Cook-Off  70: Shellfish Grilled Over an Open Flame Cook-Off 71: Winter Squash Cook-Off 72: Ramen 
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to our popular eGullet Cook-Off Series. Our last Cook-Off, Hash, took us into a heated discussion of the meat of the matter--should it be chopped, hashed, sliced, diced, or chunked.
      Click here, for our Hash discussion, and the answers to all of your questions about this beloved diner staple. The complete eG Cook-Off Index can be found here. Today we’re launching eGullet Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish.
      Drying fish is a method of preservation that dates back to Ancient times, but more recently, (let’s say a mere 500 years ago or so), salt mining became a major industry in Europe and salt was a fast and economical way of preserving fish. Curing agents like nitrates were introduced in the 19th century, furthering the safety and taste of preserved fish.
      Where I live in the Pacific Northwest, Native Americans have been preserving fish and seafood for millennia. While we are best known for our ruby-red, oily-rich, smoked salmon, other species of fish found in the Pacific and in our streams are delicious when cured and smoked including Halibut, Sablefish and Idaho Rainbow Trout. And don’t think that you can’t smoke shellfish, alder-smoked Dungeness Crab is a wondrous Pacific Northwest delicacy that evokes memories of crab roasting over a driftwood fire on the beach.
      Another method of preserving fish is to bath the beauties in a brine—a combination of water, sugar, salt and spices that adds flavor and moisture to fish before it is dried or smoked. And speaking of smoked fish, you can do it in a small pan on top of the stove, in a cast iron drum, a barbecue pit, an old woodshed or a fancy digital smoker. The methods and flavors produced by smoking fish are endless.
      Old-fashioned ways of preserving fish, (while adequate at the time), aren't always the best method today. Today's technology provides us with the tools to create cured fish that is moist, succulent, tender and with a hint of smoke. The Modernist movement has certainly played a role in bringing this age-old craft into the 21st century, so for the avant-garde in the crowd, show us your creative wizardry for preserving fish the "modern" way.
      Cured, Brined, Smoked or Salted, the art of preserving fish opens us up to limitless possibilities that transcend the boundaries of cuisine and culture. So let’s sew-up the holes in our fishnets, scrub the barnacles off the rowboat and set out to sea in search of some delectable fish to cure, brine, smoke and salt.
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to a time-honored, cherished eG tradition, the eG Cook-Off Series. Today were venturing into a new world for Cook-Off's. Member Kerry Beal came forward with a Cook-Off idea we just couldn't pass up--Pork Belly--and inspired a new idea for future Cook-Off's. Knowing we're a community of great culinary minds, we'll be inviting the Members to send us ideas for potential future Cook-Off's, (more information to come later). Take it away Kerry and let's raid the larder and start cookin.
    • By David Ross
      Fall is but a whisper of the recent past--at least it is where I live in the upper reaches of Eastern, Washington. We had our first fluff of snow a week ago and a reasonable November storm is predicted for this weekend with temperatures holding at a chilly 18 degrees at night.
      Along with the rumblings of cold winter weather and Holiday feasts, we turn our culinary musings to time-treasured, comfortable dishes. And so I invite you to join me in another kitchen adventure--the inimitable eG Cook-Off Series. In 2013, we've tackled the tricky cooking of Squid, Calamari and Octopus and we made delicious dishes out of the humble Summer Squash.
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).
      But today we're shunning all manner of counting calories, salt or fat content--for what is rich in flavor is good for the soul my dear friends. Please join me in crafting, nuturing and savoring a dish of Confit.
    • By David Ross
      Hello friends and welcome back to a time-honored tradition--the popular eG Cook-Off Series. We're in the heat of summer right now and our gardens are literally blooming with all manner of peak of the season ripe fruits and succulent vegetables. And there's no better time of year to honor a vegetable that is often maligned as not being as colorful or trendy as the chi-chi breakfast radish or the multi-hued rainbow chard.

In addition to not always being recognized for it's looks, every August and September it becomes the butt of jokes at State Fair competitions across the country. If you can get past the embarassment of seeing the poor devils dressed up and carved into silly, cartoon-like farm figures or pumped-up with organic steroids, you'll find a delicious, low-calorie vegetable packed with potassium and vitamin A. Yes friends, your dreams have come true for today we kick-off eG Cook-Off #62, "Summer Squash."
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).

According to the University of Illinois Extension Office, summer squash, (also known in some circles as Italian marrow), are tender, warm-season vegetables that can be grown anytime during the warm, frost-free season. Summer squash differs from fall and winter squash, (like pumpkins, acorn and butternut squash), because it is harvested before the outer rind hardens. Some of the most popular summer squash are the Green and Yellow Zucchini, Scallop, Patty Pan, Globe, Butter Blossom and Yellow Crookneck.

My personal favorite summer squash is the versatile zucchini. Slow-cooked with sliced onion and ham hock, zucchini is perfectly comfortable nestled on a plate next to juicy, fried pork chops and creamy macaroni and cheese. But the chi-chi haute crowd isn't forgotten when it comes to zucchini, or, as the sniffy French call it, the "courgette." Tiny, spring courgette blossoms stuffed with herbs and ricotta cheese then dipped in tempura batter and gently fried are a delicacy found on Michelin-Star menus across the globe.

Won't you please join me in crafting some delicious masterpieces that showcase the culinary possibilities of delicious summer squash.