• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Natura

docsconz

Moderator's Note: This topic has been split from "The Fat Duck Cookbook" Topic.

Yesterday was a great day!

I have received, in three enourmous boxes, the following books:

The Big Fat Duck Cookbook

Alinea

A Day at El Bulli

All three are great and never were money more well spent! All three highly recommended for both Homecooks with an interest in new techniques and surely for professional cooks.

Will you be getting Albert Adria's Natura?

This has been quite the fall for big Technoemotional Cooking books!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

just checked Natura, it's a lot of cash for 152pages.

anyone know more about it?

I'll definitely be getting it even if it was 50 pages and no text. After Bourdain's tease in the No Reservations Spain episode...

Pastry chef's everywhere, when they see this, will gape in fear and awe and wonder. I feel for them. Like Eric Clapton seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time, one imagines they will ask themselves "What do I do now?"

...and the short but very cool look into what it's about, how can I not?

I was going to preorder it but I haven't been able to find it from a Canada or U.S. dealer, anyone seen it anywhere?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'll definitely be getting it even if it was 50 pages and no text. After Bourdain's tease in the No Reservations Spain episode...

Pastry chef's everywhere, when they see this, will gape in fear and awe and wonder. I feel for them. Like Eric Clapton seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time, one imagines they will ask themselves "What do I do now?"

...and the short but very cool look into what it's about, how can I not?

I was going to preorder it but I haven't been able to find it from a Canada or U.S. dealer, anyone seen it anywhere?

Given the stature of the author and the book, I am surprised to have seen very little buzz about this book. I would think that it is likely to be every bit as significant as The Big Fat Duck and Alinea books, if not even more.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Alinea

A Day at El Bulli

All three are great and never were money more well spent! All three highly recommended for both Homecooks with an interest in new techniques and surely for professional cooks.

As someone else already noted, it is only available to pre-order on the El Bulli website.

Although interested, some of the same methodology and technique may have already appeared on previous El Bulli's books (like the microwave sponge/foam demonstrated on Bourdain's No Reservations Spain episode).

For me those books serve as an inspiration and training rather then necessarily replicating the same recipes.

Alinea

A Day at El Bulli

As someone else already noted, it is only available to pre-order on the El Bulli website.

Although interested, some of the same methodology and technique may have already appeared on previous El Bulli's books (like the microwave sponge/foam demonstrated on Bourdain's No Reservations Spain episode).

For me those books serve as an inspiration and training rather then necessarily replicating the same recipes.

I agree that it will be interesting to see what is new about this book that isn't in the other elBulli books.

Twitter - @docsconz

I think we're drifting off the original topic here but what interests me about it is the organic approach. I'm not really concerned with new techniques in this one, although if they're there that's great, I want it more for inspirational reasons. Everything that was shown in the episode revolves around the natural world. They seem to be inspired by things you can see walking around with your eyes open, not just staring towards where you're going, but constructed using the Adria "How the hell did he do that?" techniques. I'm prepared to be blown away and willing to pay the price to have that happen. If it doesn't, I'm sure it'll still be a nice book to have around.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Given that the book is in English as well, I would guarantee that it will be the best $$ you ever spent on a cook book.

Los Postres de El Bulli was the best 125 ( in 01) bucks I laid out even translating on Free Trans in a language ( Catalan) that's not easy.

It's going to be "transformational" for many pastry chefs as well as savory.

Period.

Order now :wink:

edit :These folks have it for 71.50 euro

A steal when a cd rom is included.

We had it up a few weeks ago John, I too was surprised not to see any buzz over here but then again, I don't have as much time to surf the many sub forums here :sad: but I'm glad to see it building :smile:

I'm guessing the No Reservations episode recently played?

Addressing the tri cook observation, Natura , I think, is going to finalize a movement that appears to be more natural and I've always "argued" the style of cooking El Bulli does is " Natura", a microwaved Angel Food cake is utilizing technology in the same way we microwave popcorn.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

Just got Natura in the mail, first glance... unreal! Haven't looked at CD-ROM yet, but incredible techniques, presentations, and concepts.

Where did you order it from? The elBulli website?

Twitter - @docsconz

Just got Natura in the mail, first glance... unreal! Haven't looked at CD-ROM yet, but incredible techniques, presentations, and concepts.

Where did you order it from? The elBulli website?

It would great to where you ordered it from

Thank you!

2317/5000

I did get it from el bulli. I've never had a problem getting books from them. Took about nine days and well worth it. Got into it a little more, to me these are much more "complete" dishes. CD-ROM works well for recipes, photos are great as usual, small bit of Alberts thoughts in the book that are very insightful. Great book all around.

I did get it from el bulli. I've never had a problem getting books from them. Took about nine days and well worth it. Got into it a little more, to me these are much more "complete" dishes. CD-ROM works well for recipes, photos are great as usual, small bit of Alberts thoughts in the book that are very insightful. Great book all around.

Question

I ordered Natura from El Bulli books and I haven't had a confirmation from them or anything.

Is that the way they do it?

Just send it to you?

Any info greatly appreciated

Thanks

BTW

The Alinea book is pretty mind blowing

2317/5000

That is right, they just send it. It took a couple of days (maybe 4) for it to show on my credit card. Once it's sent, it doesn't take long

My favorite books this fall have been Under Pressure (can't go wrong with TK) ,Fat Duck, not for food or recipes, but Heston's dialog of coming up with dishes and total freedom to do anything with food. Also the CIA Frozen Desserts book is an EXCELLENT reference (by former French Laundry pastry chef). Alinea, was most anticipated, but still not sure if I like it. Olivier Roellinger has a new book out in French, very good. A day in el bulli is pretty cool, Crillion, also pretty cool. Natura is still maybe the coolest (I'm not even a pastry chef). I have a few more new books but lost track of what they are...

Alinea, was most anticipated, but still not sure if I like it.

That's interesting, because I think you're the first person I've heard who's said that. I haven't gotten my copy yet - Canada seems to be the last place on Earth to receive the pre-ordered versions - so I'm curious to know what you don't like about it!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

The book is solid and NOTHING AGAINST GRANT OR ANY OF THEIR STAFF. Those guys are all bad asses, but my personal stye is going more towards someone like NOMA's Rene Redzepi or Bras say. I like their connection to nature and surroundings. The book is technically perfect, I appreciate their incredible talent, but just not my style.

So as to not veer too far off topic, I understand what you mean.

However, I'm finding that the Alinea book makes it all more human or natural to me.

The cooking is not real far out if you look a bit deeper, as I'm sure I'll find Natura.

As far as Bras goes, between him & Gagnaire, the influences from both run deep in the Spanish movement.

2317/5000

can someone please point me in the direction of the Crillon book, not heard or seen that one?

It's easy enough to track down on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Just do a search for "At The Crillon And At Home: Recipes by Jean-Francois Piege" by Jean-Francois Piege.

The price is £21.00 on Amazon.co.uk

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

• 2 weeks later...

Vid from Madrid Fusion or other gastro con fab.

Sort of an advert for the book.

BTW, the "Spain" episode from AB's "No reservations is great, big segment on Natura ( I think it's been well documented here but...), well worth an Itunes download, the whole episode is a joy.

Can't wait for my trip to Madrid and environs in Feb. :biggrin:

2317/5000

Just got Natura..amazing book and cd. Seems like exact replication of the techniques are out of my price range as I won't be purchasing a pacojet or freeze dryer any time soon. Anyone has thoughts on other ways to make the powders?

I am thinking about freezing some of the ice cream bases in small blocks then using a high powered blender with some dry ice chunks to prevent melting.

As for freeze drying my best idea is to use a food saver jar to put the food item in a vacuum and then put it in the freezer for a while to hopefully allow some of the water to sublimate....

Cheers

Edited by Scout_21 (log)