• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Theater District Dilemma

markk

We've been going to the theater (Broadway) a lot this fall, (like once or twice a week) and are running out of interesting places to eat. And a lot of our shows are Sunday perfs which let out at 9:15, so there are the possibilities of eating after the show, though Sunday is the worst day it seems for late night dining.

We've been going to The Bar Room at The Modern, or to Landmarc at Time Warner, and I have some Benoit's planned.

I'd like to find something (not Asian, or exotic or ethnic, but more on the order of those places) that I'm just not thinking of that we could do before or after a show ("after" especially on Sundays when it's a 7pm curtain) so I'm hoping, being out of the loop lately, that you will have some suggestions. One night, because of a torrential storm, we opted for 'convenient' and ate at Churrascaria Plataforma which was down the street from the theater, but the food was in the "unacceptable" category.

We're always parked in a garage, so if there are places we could cab to that I'm just not thinking of, I would appreciate somebody pointing those out to me.

(I've found that Bar Boulud works perfectly for when we go to the opera, so I don't want to put that in the "theater" mix.)

Thanks a million, everyone !!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 4 weeks later...

Well I guess that I meant nothing "non European". I can't have hot/spicy food any more, so that rules out Thai (or at least the Thai food that I love), and we do our "Cantonese" eating at a much-beloved favorite (New Lok Kee) in Flushing, and other Asian cuisines, and the food of other continents doesn't really call to us.

We did try Insieme with some very very interesting results that left us with no great desire to return, and last night we ventured a little afield to try La Luncheonette, which we abandoned in mid-meal (see post here).

But we're willing to keep an open mind and keep experimenting, so all suggestions are entertained and appreciated!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Have you tried Bocca di Bacco, 828 Ninth Avenue between 54th and 55th Streets?

What about Tia Pol or its sister restaurant, El Quinto Pino?

5 Napkin Burger has an allegedly decent burger.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?