• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[IA] Grinnell to Cedar Rapids/Mt. Vernon

snowangel

College visit. Could use suggestions of where to stay (budget, teen, ice machine so I can have a cold cocktail after a day or two of looking at colleges -- gasp/choke!), but better would be a place to eat. I'll have had enough of college food services "box lunches." Anything interesting? Any meat markets worth hitting?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

College visit.  Could use suggestions of where to stay (budget, teen, ice machine so I can have a cold cocktail after a day or two of looking at colleges -- gasp/choke!), but better would be a place to eat.  I'll have had enough of college food services "box lunches."  Anything interesting?  Any meat markets worth hitting?

The Amana Colonies are between Grinnell and CR. They'll have some good meat markets, its an old German enclave. If you head over to Central College in Pella, they have two meat markets and two bakeries (Dutch) on the square, and its about 30 minutes from Grinnell.

As far as cocktails? Wowee... I can't think of any place special...