• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full Gas Range or Dual Fuel Range

dennis77

I need some recommendations as to purchasing a gas range. Is it better to buy a full gas range or to buy a dual fuel gas range. That is a gas top and the stove is a electric

convection oven. I have read that for baking an electric oven is better than a gas one.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have dual fuel also( GE profile). The convection bake feature automatically lowers the set temp by 25F and it also cooks a lot faster. I usually shave off 5-10 min off baked goods.

When I lived in Cali, I had a gas stove/oven and never really had a problem with browning when I baked.

I have dual fuel at home. Mine has a 20000 btu/hr gas broiler in one of the ovens. To me there is no question that electric ovens are better.

My next kitchen will not have the ovens in the stove. I hate having to crawl on the floor to lift an 18" Le Cruset off the bottom shelf of an oven. Besides, I like the idea of having an eye level broiler too.

Robert

Seattle

Electric Oven(s)

Induction Hob + 1 or more Gas Rings

Electric Oven(s) - Dry heat and more controllable, if you get a good one it can also do low temp cooking or even steam.

Induction Hob - The very fast and most efficient heat you can get BUT limited with pans, can't roast peppers etc. Gas fast but not energy efficient. Some manufacturers are doining combined induction and gas 2x2 hobs but my ideal, if you can go for it, would be to use unit based devices so 2 induction, 1 gas wok burner, 2 induction and if you had the space a frying surface or grill.

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I am at the same crossroads. I am shopping for a new range and previously and currently have always had gas. Everyone seems to say that electric is better and even if that is true, how much better is it really? Does anyone know someone who got a gas range and is kicking them selves for not getting electric?

Keba

To me, the quality of performance varies between brands, perhaps more than between gas and electric. Before I replaced my range last year, I researched many brands and models. The dual fuel option not only adds to the range price, but requires special wiring and therefore an electrician. I opted to stay all-gas and am very happy with the results.

I'd vote for all-gas as well ... I've found gas ovens bake much more evenly than electric without the hot spots. The only disadvantage is the broiler, which I don't like on gas stoves. And ... if you are in an area prone to power failures ... you'll always be able to cook and keep warm.

When my current home was new it was wired for an electric range, but I opted for a full gas range because it was so rural I wanted to be able to use the stove during power outages. That turned out to be a good thing. I never used the oven, only the cooktop during those outages. I did not like the oven because of uneven heating, slow cooking and poor browning. I was always opening it up during baking to move things around. I recently replaced it with a dual fuel that I like very much. It has a second smaller oven up above the larger convection oven and I have found that I like and use that most of all. It heats up to 550 deg f in 5 min and is great for low profile items. In my case, opting for both gas and electric did not involve running any new lines the second time around. Now that I have used it for almost a year I can say that I couldn't be happier with the ovens. I have baked bread on and off as a practical hobby for about 10 years and I would never go back to a gas oven. The cooktop is a 5 burner one and I don't think the 5th burner has done anything for me. My only complaint is that keeping the black stovetop under the burners clean and pristine looking is a chore, moreso than the stainless front.

I hope you find my experience helpful.

HC

• 3 weeks later...
I am at the same crossroads.  I am shopping for a new range and previously and currently have always had gas.  Everyone seems to say that electric is better and even if that is true, how much better is it really?  Does anyone know someone who got a gas range and is kicking them selves for not getting electric?

Keba

I just moved from a house with a dual-fuel range (Thermador) to one with all gas (Viking), and I really miss the electric oven. I keep a thermometer in there, and find that temperatures in my gas oven are inconsistent. Stuff I've been cooking for years browns and burns. Probably some of this is just getting used to a new oven, but if were replacing it, I'd definitely, definitely opt for dual fuel.

I went through the same dilemma, but opted for all-gas in the end to save the cost of installing the extra outlet/circuit in my kitchen. Keep in mind that you do need a 240V outlet for a range, not just a standard 120V one, and it will probably need to be on its own circuit.

So far, I love my gas oven, though I do find myself rotating most things during baking, but I don't particularly have a problem with that, as I do it at work all the time anyway.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries