• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for Bird Confit "Jelly"?

Recoil Rob

The last few years I've been making pheasant confit, using the legs and thighs of pheasants. I'm using the basic recipe from "Charcuterie".

In that recipe, after the meat has simmered in the fat, one removes the pieces to a container and covers them with the fat for aging. Left is the pot is the pinkish liquid which, if left with meat can sour it. It is recommended to strain this liquid and cool it which, because of all the natural gelatin it contains quickly comes together into a sort of aspic.

In the book the authors recommend using it in a vinaigrette for salads, but no much else. I've tried that and it did nothing for me. I've reduced and clarified the amount I had, sort of like a demi-glace, does anyone have any other ideas for it's usage?

Thanks, Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

The stuff is gold. Use it for anything that you can benefit from a robust, salty gelling agent: soups, stews, cassoulet, beans, terrines. I've also used it to top jars of duck rillettes or confit instead of duck fat to similar effect.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Cassoulet, cassoulet, yes, know I see....

Alrighty then, as soon as the temps drop a few degrees here in SE NY it's Cassoulet!

Whose recipe do you prefer to work off of for cassoulet?

Thanks, Rob

The stuff is gold. Use it for anything that you can benefit from a robust, salty gelling agent: soups, stews, cassoulet, beans, terrines. I've also used it to top jars of duck rillettes or confit instead of duck fat to similar effect.

- Errol Flynn

Rob, I'd start with the Cassoulet Cook-Off. And, don't forget, you simply can't go wrong with any cassoulet recipe of Paula Wolfert's.

Question, however. Your pheasants. Farmed or wild? Purchased or hunted (by you)?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Thank you Susan, that's a good starting place.

Here in NY I belong to two hunting clubs that stock birds from a preserve on farmland we lease. They are organically fed birds let out into the wild. Some, though not a high percentage, manage to over winter so there is a small population of wild birds (if they avoid predators and make it through the winter we consider them wary enough to be called wild).

NY has native grouse and the woodcock come through but pheasants don't have as strong a foothold as the do in the midwest.

Rob, I'd start with the Cassoulet Cook-Off. And, don't forget, you simply can't go wrong with any cassoulet recipe of Paula Wolfert's.

Question, however. Your pheasants. Farmed or wild? Purchased or hunted (by you)?

- Errol Flynn