• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cover Band (Music)vs Cover Chef (Food)

Egullet,

I recently entered a discussion regarding a band that would be good for a wedding music we looked at a few bands and came up that a good cover band would be the best, than when we talked about food my friend suggested to ask the chef to do your favorite dishes, we laughed at the idea at first

We all agreed it would face some challange like

that they would be able to pull it off considering the amount of knowledge some of the chefs have from my favorite food

then the moral off stealing dishes that another chef had created etc

so here are the basis for your opinoins

What is the difference regarding a cover band singing some very personal songs someone written and who he/she hope to get reconition for or a chef creating a dish he/she would like to be recognized for?

Could a cover chef be the norm? Is it already and is their any chef who does this openly or is it a big TABU and denial....

Can anybody give a example of such practice,who is your "Cover Chef"

Edited by Robot Coupe (log)

how can you cook anything that hasn't been done so before.

at champignon sauvage last week I had lobster with confit duck heart and nougat foam (post to come). staggeringly good and a bit left field - nougat foam???

also has rosehip sorbet as pre-desert - also fab

my own, if limited, contribution to the culinary world was coco chanel ice cream and I can honestly say I've never seen that on any menu ;-)

at champignon sauvage last week I had lobster with confit duck heart and nougat foam (post to come). staggeringly good and a bit left field - nougat foam???

my own, if limited, contribution to the culinary world was coco chanel ice cream and I can honestly say I've never seen that on any menu ;-)

I hate you just a little bit for making me want to go back :sad:

Edited by CalumC (log)

I hate you just a little bit for making me want to go back :sad:

Thankfully I am back for a long overdue visit a week on Saturday - the wife has been nagging incessantly about going since I have not yet taken her so I thought it would be a good birthday treat for her! Can't bloody wait! Will post when I get back.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?