• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Container for Olive Oil

JaclynM

I have been thinking about getting a bottle to keep my olive oil in, since right now I'm just using the bottle that it came in when I bought it at the store.

I've been looking at some containers - I believe they're called cruets? - which have a long, thin, top, with just a small opening to make it easier for drizzling. A few examples:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=400098

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=8921

However, I have also read that olive oil should be stored in an airtight container, to keep it from going rancid. All the cruets I've seen seem to have an opening at the top, unless I'm missing something and there is a seal somewhere, which you remove prior to drizzling, and then put back once you are done using it.

What do you think? Are these open cruets okay to use, or should I look for something that stays completely airtight? How do all of you keep your olive oil?

The thing to recognise is the difference between "long-term" storage and convenience of use of what is currently in play.

Rancidity is promoted by air, light and heat. So, long term, store it cool, dark and in (well filled) closed containers.

But, to always have to hand a pourable container is very nicely convenient!

But I'm no oil snob. My (cheap) extra virgin nowadays lives in a (dark green) ex-wine bottle with a narrow, vented, pouring stopper. There's less than a couple of months' supply in there. Its very nice to have it available, instantly and needing just one hand (which stays clean). In a cool kitchen, in a cool climate, I've not had any problem with it 'going off' - or with anything getting in! I dare say one might be more careful with a hand-pressed, single estate treasure - but that's not what I've got!

So, a "small" pouring container is a good idea.

However, you'll notice that I'm deliberately leaving "small" and "long-term" for you to define in your own situation. :hmmm:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I do the same thing as Dougal. I store my olive oil in a narrow glass cruet I bought at a street fair that's hand painted. It has the stopper & drizzler pourer on top, and is so convenient to use. {Unlike your 2nd link which has a separate topper.} It's good for a few weeks of use, and then I refill it from a large bottle kept in a dark cabinet away from the stove.

Unless you buy your olive oil in a container that is too large to be convenient for pouring (e.g., if you buy a one-gallon metal container of oil), you should simply use the bottle that the oil comes in and store the oil in a cool and dark space in between uses. Anything else will simply increase the oxidation of the oil, which is bad. Indeed, the simple act of pouring oil from one container into another will oxidize the oil.

--

I'm in both camps: I keep the good stuff (mmm, Frantoia :wub:) in its original bottle stashed away in a cool, dark cabinet.

I also store the cheap stuff (gallon bottle of Costco olive oil) in its original bottle, but keep a good, tip-resistant bottle topped off with said cheap stuff and capped with one of these doohickeys. The hinged cap gives me a little more peace of mind.

P.S. Get yourself one of those bottles... you won't regret making it empty!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

As discussed here, among other places, I just don't use enough olive oil to make it worth my while to buy any brand of lesser quality than Frantoia Barbera. At the amounts I'm using (less than a liter per month) the price difference between $19/liter Frantoia Barbera and some cheapo Costco olive oil isn't enough to make me buy anything other than the Barbera stuff, which I pour straight out of the bottle. If I were to buy a gallon tin of oilve oil, it would have been open too long by the time I finished it.

As for the Red Breast... totally with you on that one. Already sent many an empty to the recycler. Been drinking it since 2004.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

I wonder if I just use way more oil than everyone else :blink: . I keep all of my oils in identical clear glass non-airtight pouring containers on my counter next to the stove, where is is no doubt too warm for proper storage. I probably refill any given bottle every couple of weeks, which at least to my taste is a short enough time that no significant oxidation is noticeable. I find that keeping them all easily accessible to the stove gets me to think about and select the appropriate oil for a task, and though it may simply be a placebo effect, I think it has improved my cooking. For me, convenience wins.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I bought some god awful red wine in a perfect brown 500 ml bottle. poured most of the red down the drain and had my oil bottles. I also use the whiskey pour spout.

My everyday oil of choice is either 365 brand from whole foods, about $7 per Liter or Costco which I think I last bought for around $8/l.

I go thru about a liter every two weeks.

Things I don't use up so quickly like grapeseed oil, stay in the tins they come in.

Robert

Seattle

I wonder if I just use way more oil than everyone else  :blink: . I keep all of my oils in identical clear glass non-airtight pouring containers on my counter next to the stove, where is is no doubt too warm for proper storage. I probably refill any given bottle every couple of weeks, which at least to my taste is a short enough time that no significant oxidation is noticeable. I find that keeping them all easily accessible to the stove gets me to think about and select the appropriate oil for a task, and though it may simply be a placebo effect, I think it has improved my cooking. For me, convenience wins.

I do the same Chris. Only the EVOO gets refilled frequently. The vegetable oil maybe once a month or two.