• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What kind of chili pepper do I have?

tino27

Caveat: I'm sorry, but my digital camera is on the blitz. As soon as I can get a photo, I'll post one on-line.

My neighbor gave me a basket of goodies from her garden and amongst them was appears to be a chili pepper. It is a bright orange-red and is about the size of a habanero. However, it also has these "wings" or "petals" (3 of them) that come out of the side of the pepper and point upwards towards the tip.

My neighbor had no idea what it was other than she said when she nibbled just the outer flesh, it was sweet, but when she got to the veins and seeds, it was very spicy.

I've looked up photos of habaneros and scotch bonnets and other than the size and color matching, nothing had these "wings".

Any thoughts on what I might have in my possession? Could I have a habanero with a natural mutation to it?

Feel free to post any links to photos you find on the web as that may help narrow down the pepper.

Also, other than using them in cooking right now, any thoughts on what my friend could do to preserve all of these chili peppers (she has a ton of them)? I thought about pepper jelly, but wasn't sure if there might be other options, too.

Thanks!!

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

What color are the seeds?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I didn't want to cut into the only one that my friend gave me (in case I get that camera working again), but I just called and asked my neighbor and she said that the seeds were white.

Does that help?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

There is a pepper called Capsicum baccatum "Bishop's Crown" which resembles your description. It's listed as being fairly mild. If your's is hotter, it's probably the same species of pepper, but a different variety. Here's a link to a photo: Bishop's Crown. Habanero peppers are actually a different species, and are wrinkled rather than winged.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

This is a pretty popular way to use Habaneros.

Habanero Gold Jelly

1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots

3/4 cup white vinegar

1/4 up finely diced red onion

1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper

1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds

OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet peppers

3 cups granulated sugar

1 pouch Certo liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.

Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well.

Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.

Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.

Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids remain suspended in the jelly.

Yield: 3 half pints

Hot 'N Sweet Confetti Jelly

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice) Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.

1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.

1/4 cup Habanero peppers

Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

6 cups sugar

1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Certo.)

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.

Stir occasionally if convenient.

Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.

Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

I would look at a couple things right after I took a big bite out of one to confirm my suspicions.

I think you would decide after that bite that it would work in the kitchen much like a bell pepper.

If so, slice and freeze for use in soups and stews, Maybe dehydrate in the oven, stew them down into a sauce with maybe tomatoes and can them or freeze to I guess.

Tasting is the first step, then almost anything you can think of.

Robert

Seattle