• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Expanding Bouley Empire

PaulaJK

What happened at Danube is that its original chef, Mario Lohniger, left several years ago.  He was never replaced by anyone of equal stature, but only by nonentities usually from within the Bouley organization.  The restaurant never recovered its luster.

Mario was superb! Do you know whether he went back to Austria or if he's still in the US?

So does anyone know if the new Bouley did, in fact, open this past weekend?  Looking for updates if anyone peeked in or, even better, went.

All indications I have seen indicate late this week or early next.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes, and I want to reschedule, but this whole thing is kind of annoying. I certainly don't fault them for not being able to open on time in itself, but when I called to make the reservation they assured me the new restaurant would be open. I'm flexible with my dining plans, but what if this was a special night or I was only in town for the weekend. Not only do I not get to visit Bouley but it's harder to get another reservation at a top restaurant with such short notice.

Overpromising and underdelivering is one surefire process for generating consumer myopia. I'm sure there are people out there more inconvenienced by this than I am.

• 2 weeks later...