• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Critics

Just to add to the pizza express love in, their range of pizza's you can buy from supermarkets are excellent. They are a staple in our house, and I am sure they are partly responsible for Pizza Hut rebranding themselves to Pasta Hut.

Giles Coren gives St Pancras Grand quite a glowing review in todays Times, whilst Jan Moir really pans it, and then Dos Hermandos quite like it.

We tried Jamie Oliver's new Italian in Bath and were underwhelmed, yet the critics loved the first one in Oxford (Bath is the same format and menu).

Whose advice should I follow?

St Pancras

Read between the lines, it was not a glowing review. He is simply watching his back!! as the consultant to this new venture is rumored to be Fay Maschler

Just to add to the pizza express love in, their range of pizza's you can buy from supermarkets are excellent. They are a staple in our house, and I am sure they are partly responsible for Pizza Hut rebranding themselves to Pasta Hut.

Desserts can be a disaster though. Had a sad dried out excuse for an apple strudle in there on Saturday, plus they'd run out of vanilla ice cream. Don't ask why I was in there in the first place, please! Pizza was good though, which is the main thing.

H

Giles Coren gives St Pancras Grand quite a glowing review in todays Times, whilst Jan Moir really pans it, and then Dos Hermandos quite like it.

We tried Jamie Oliver's new Italian in Bath and were underwhelmed, yet the critics loved the first one in Oxford (Bath is the same format and menu).

Whose advice should I follow?

St Pancras

Read between the lines, it was not a glowing review. He is simply watching his back!! as the consultant to this new venture is rumored to be Fay Maschler

not rumour, fact.

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/food/arti...&in_page_id=264

though why that should have any impact on giles coren's review is beyond me.

Edited by circeplum (log)

• 2 weeks later...
...a critic is like a eunuch in a harem...

...knows how its done, see's it done all the time...just cant do it themselves.. :wink:

I think you mean

Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.

Brendan Behan

What a clever and ironic way to highlight the critics' lack of creativity - by misquoting someone else's tired aphorism.

:laugh:

Edited by Tim Hayward (log)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron