• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mysterious Missing Lemon Juice

Okay, so please don't razz me too hard about buying lemon juice when I could be squeezing fresh lemons (yes, I do that too), but this hunt is beginning to make me curious.

About two weeks ago, my wife was going to buy a bottle of reconstituted lemon juice. It was out of stock at her local grocery store. After a couple of days, she tried at another store and it too was out of stock. Since then we have been checking at every store more for curiosity rather than real need and there is no lemon juice to be found. Lime juice is in stock and fresh lemons and limes are not difficult to acquire but lemon juice has disappeared from the shelves.

Does anyone have any insight into this perplexing problem?

Inquiring minds want to know.

there has been a lemon juice concentrate shortage for a little while now.

lemon juice shortage

Thanks for the info and the link. Just this weekend Safeway had a sign up. I did think it was weird that I was finding fresh lemons but no Realemon. I use the lemon concentrate when I require the acid rather than the flavour. I use reconstituted lemon juice when I bake buns with whole wheat flour. It appears to help the leavening. I haven't down the research to figure out why, but it what my mother taught me and it works.

Anyways, thanks again.

Edited by ddueck (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I saw some at the IGA, but they've only got the little ones in the lemon-shaped bottle. And the prices were jacked up to $1.99 (up from $1.15 or whatever it used to be). No large bottles in sight. Plenty of lime juice concentrate, though....

• 2 months later...