• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bushels of grapes

Darienne

We are currently living in Moab Utah and our landlady (and friend and next door neighbor on whose property this second house stands) has gone away for a while leaving for our use more grapes than I have ever seen before.

I don't know what kind they are, except for the Concord grapes. Two other varieties seem of the Concord type...you know...you put them in your mouth, break the skin, swallow the juicy innards and then either chew up the skin...or as we all did as kids...spit the skins out. And one variety is more the store bought type.

Please no jam or jelly or wine. I did find a wonderful pie recipe, Schiacciata con l'Uva, which I might try.

I could try juice. We have a Champion with us but I don't know how it would handle the seeds yet. Will try that tomorrow.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here, try these.  Yes, there are some jam recipes, but there are also sauces, coffee cake, upside-down cake, aspic, and a chutney.

http://www.honeyflowfarm.com/graperecipes.php

Theresa :biggrin:

Thanks so much. I have never had excess grapes in my life before...except for the one year of abundant wild grapes back home in Ontario, 1995, and we made grape jelly. :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You could freeze them. They hold up very well.

Double that, though I recommend (don't know if this was your intention tete de chou) eating them frozen, theyre very nice indeed. The flesh turns to a sorbet kind of feel.

crush

separate seeds

boil (concentrate)

freeze

frozen grape juice concentrate.

I have visions of my DH and the two pups and myself, stomping the grapes in our bare feet... Of course, grapes are poison to dogs so I'd have to warn them not to sample the wares...lol :laugh:

Seriously though, it's a great idea and we just might try it.

Thanks to everyone who sent ideas. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I seem to recall a really easy recipe for grape juice where you simply put the grapes in the bottles with sugar and water - then process in a boiling water bath. When you want the juice you just strain the contents of the bottle.

Here you are.

I've always wanted to do a grape meringue pie . . . There are several recipes out there. Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts has one.

You can also sugar-frost the frozen grapes.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

There's a recipe for grape sorbet in David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. I made a batch of it, which I served alongside a batch of his peanut butter ice cream. (Except that these recipes tend to run a bit sweet for my tastes, and I reduced the sugar a bit too much in the grape sorbet so it was on the tart side, but kept the PB ice cream oversweet...yet they worked together beautifully!)

The recipe calls for concord grapes, but I bet it would work nicely with other grape varieties. Just watch the sugar.

And it looks as though a version of the recipe is available on line here.

I also seem to recall a grape focaccia recipe in Carol Field's book called, simply, Focaccia. And that one, on Amazon, permits you to search inside so you can preview the recipe.

Good luck!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2