• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate by Ramon Morato

Kerry Beal

Here are the pictures from Ramon Morato's Pastry Experience.

gallery_44011_6311_11922.jpg

Ramon Morato

gallery_44011_6311_42928.jpg

Foie block with chocolate toasted corn and apricot

gallery_44011_6311_12848.jpg

gallery_44011_6311_10599.jpg

Mango, milk chocolate, hazelnut

gallery_44011_6311_26936.jpg

chocolate, toffee, orange, 4 spices

gallery_44011_6311_56466.jpg

coconut, chocolate, and passion fruit

gallery_44011_6311_38421.jpg

black rice, with truffle and chocolate

gallery_44011_6311_9326.jpg

hazelnut, orange, and saffron praline

Thanks for posting those pics Luis! I'm eagerly waiting for my book and wondering why it is taking over two weeks to arrive from Canada!!!!! The damn Mounties are holding it at the border :wink:

edited to add: not that it matters, but did he seem like a nice guy?

Edited by alanamoana (log)

So after all the discussion about anhydrous butter, Kerry...have you actually tried any recipes from the book and how do you like it so far?  I'm thinking of buying it and would love any critique you might have to offer.

Not quite there yet. We are up north right now and Anna is working her way through the book.

I have been making some of my ganaches using his technique of 40º C chocolate and cooler cream, they seem to set up quickly, and have excellent texture. I'm sold on his proportions of ingredients for shelf life (as shown in to the Excel spread sheet linked to by Schneich) after giving a moldy, not very old chocolate to a fellow chocolatier a couple of days ago. When we plugged the recipe into the spreadsheet it failed badly!

I did make a recipe using the clarified butter that was modeled on his recipes - it was a chai latte - used some of the chai powder that I bought at the spice house, white chocolate, clarified butter, cream, lipton powdered tea (not sweetened or flavoured) and an alcoholic infusion of chai tea that I had in the cupboard. It was quite lovely - quite a bit of booze though, I was feeling a little woozy after licking the spatula (I'm a cheap drunk).

I'd report back after I've had more time to go through the book and try a couple more recipes.

Kerry - you cited an Excel spreadsheet, but I didn't see a link to it; where can I access this spreadsheet?

Thanks for posting those pics Luis!  I'm eagerly waiting for my book and wondering why it is taking over two weeks to arrive from Canada!!!!!  The damn Mounties are holding it at the border  :wink:

edited to add:  not that it matters, but did he seem like a nice guy?

Hi Alana,

Glad to see your getting the book. what is it with those mounties? lol

yes, he is super nice. Hopefully I can take one of his classes in barcelona. Of course at the end of the demonstration he let us eat everything he made. I can honestly say his cakes were some of the best I've ever tried.

Luis

Edited by sote23 (log)

Where was his presentation and how did you hear about it?

This presentation was held in South San Francisco. I know he made a number of stops, another being in Los Angeles, I can't remember where the other ones were. I think it was his first trip to the US.

I found out about it from the distributor that brought him over. www.in2food.com

Luis

Kerry - you cited an Excel spreadsheet, but I didn't see a link to it; where can I access this spreadsheet?

Link here for Schneich's excel spreadsheet. You just plug in your amounts of ingredients and it tells you if they meet the minimum and maximum requirements. It's not hard to add other ingredients if you know the percentages.

does anyone know where the best place would be to order this from, i am not having much luck in finding it.

cheeers

Where are you located?

bargin. ok i am going to be difficult here, i`d like the french-english version.

failing that ill go with adey73 one.

cheers

Is there a french- english one?

bargin. ok i am going to be difficult here, i`d like the french-english version.

failing that ill go with adey73 one.

cheers

Is there a french- english one?

after searching around i am going to say no there is not, but i was just hoping, oh well guess ill have to order it like that :biggrin:

i cook, i sleep, i ride.