• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange flower water

jgm

I was listening to The Splendid Table a few weeks back, and Lynne's guest was Sally Schneider, who recommended that orange flower water be used in just about any cookies or cakes. She recommended starting with very small quantities, since strengths of brands can vary, but said it simply perks up flavor and makes things taste more buttery.

Your comments?

I have used it in pound cake and shortbread cookies. I started with 1/2 teaspoonful, then increased it to the full 1 teaspoon.

I buy mine in Arabic markets in my area. It's much less expensive than going to the gourmet shop.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

One of my customers is Arabic and has been teaching me how to flavor dessert items using both orange blossom water and rose water. His rule of thumb is to add the flavorings to cooled simple syrup - no more than a capful to about a pint of syrup. He likes a subtle flavoring for the desserts he sells in his restaurant.

Orange blossom water tastes wonderful in the syrup brushed onto the pistachio butter cake I make for him. In fact, most of the desserts I use it in have nuts (usually pistachios) in them.

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Am I the only one who thinks orange flower water tastes like soap?

Nope. I did too, for many, many years -- nice soap, mind you, but soap.

I can't remember what adjusted my attitude: maybe some orange flower water mixed into the honey syrup of a baklava? Somehow, I got the whole Arabian Nights thing and I adore it, in small quantities, now.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I think ginger (especially powdered ginger) can taste like soap, too, depending on what it's in.

Sally recommended, however, putting it in just about any (sweet) baked good. Would anybody here take it that far?

Orange blossom water tastes wonderful in the syrup brushed onto the pistachio butter cake I make for him. In fact, most of the desserts I use it in have nuts (usually pistachios) in them.

don't suppose you want to share that recipe, actually? sounds amazing.

Just checking up on e-mails - sorry for the delay.

Here's the recipe for the Pistachio Cake. I brush the cake with a 1 1/2 : 1 simple syrup that has 1 capful of orange blossom water added to it. The cake is filled with Halvah white chocolate mousse - it's really a great tasting cake!

This recipe produces a very dense cake. To lighten it somewhat, reduce the butter an ounce or so. I received this recipe years ago from a friend.

20 egg yolks

14 oz. sugar

12 oz. cake flour

7 oz. unsalted pistachios, toasted and ground

5 oz. butter, melted and cooled (3 1/2 - 5 oz butter)

15 egg whites

3 1/2 ounces sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and parchment 2 10-inch cake pans.

Whip egg yolks and 14 oz. sugar until light and fluffy.

Sift cake flour 3x, then add pistachios.

Fold dry into yolk mixture.

Add butter in a liason

Whip egg whites with 3 1/2 ounces sugar to soft peaks, then gently fold into batter.

Pour batter into prepared pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean.

I can't remember how long this takes to bake - so just kep an eye on it.

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog