• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Lunch on a Monday in NYC?

T Raveret

New to the is forum and greatful for the friend who turned me on to it.

I am looking to find the best lunch I can get on Monday Octomer 27th in Manhatthan NYC. We have one day in NYC before geting on a cruise and want to have one nice dining experience but can't afford to break the bank.

We never get to New York and live in the Midwest. What are your favorite picks.

I made a reservation at Jean Georges but are there other places that we should consider?

Not looking to break the bank but if a better value than the Jean Georges experience exists (or even something comparable but a better experienc) bring it on.

comparisons of Jean Georges to Nougatine would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Edited by T Raveret (log)

No better value than the Jean Georges lunch exists.

I concur and welcome to the eGullet Society, T Raveret!

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

A close second would be Perry Street, which, with the weather how it is, I'd opt for, given the view from that minimalist room plus the convenience of getting back to the Piers at 50th street, which is probably where you're disembarking. (Well OK the convenience is negligible but even getting from CPW to WSH can be sucky)

Edited by raji (log)

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with my bud raji, but the thing about the Jean Georges lunch is that it costs the same (I think) as the Perry Street lunch, but, as much as I like Perry Street, the food at Jean Georges is some substantial multiplier better.

It's amazing to me that one of the top two or three restaurants in New York has such a great lunch deal. I wouldn't miss it if I were you.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with my bud raji, but the thing about the Jean Georges lunch is that it costs the same (I think) as the Perry Street lunch, but, as much as I like Perry Street, the food at Jean Georges is some substantial multiplier better.

To be fair, the food cost at JG is marginally higher, and (depending on your dining habits) the check may be measurably higher, since Perry Street always offers a few well selected $20 bottles of wine whereas at JG you're working with a typical four star wine list.

Having said that, I would pick JG over Perry Street any day (except Saturday or Sunday).

• 4 weeks later...

Jean Georges was simply amazing...we actually decided to board the boat a little later (we were leaving on a cruise on Tuesday from NY) and made time for lunch on Tuesday as well. We were thinking of doing Nougatine but they were able to accomodate us in JG, food and experience were one of the most wonderful dining experiences of my life.

Thanks to all who reinforced the choice it was our honeymoon ..she got the wedding ...but I got JG!!

Edited by T Raveret (log)

jg was a great choice. i eat lunch there once a month or so and have never been disappointed (although sometimes the amuse fail to wow.) glad you enjoyed your lunch. tough to argue that it's not the best value high-end lunch in nyc. for me, it would be at or near the top even taking $ out of the equation.