• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

modelling chocolate

lilthorner

I FINALLY made some good modeling chocolate (using Annie's recipe from eons ago!) the problem is, I dont really know how to work with it..specifically, I am trying to find out if I can airbrush it or will it get icky.. also when I roll it out, should I use cornstarch or 10x.. Lastly, when using it for figures, does it get hard enough or do I need some type of support? I am gonna be making dora, but just as a topper, not huge.

its supposed to be 75 degrees tomorrow (when I need the cake to be done) so I am thinking it will be cool enough.

thanks in advance!

I FINALLY made some good modeling chocolate (using Annie's recipe from eons ago!) the problem is, I dont really know how to work with it..specifically, I am trying to find out if I can airbrush it or will it get icky.. also when I roll it out, should I use cornstarch or 10x.. Lastly, when using it for figures, does it get hard enough or do I need some type of support? I am gonna be making dora, but just as a topper, not huge.

its supposed to be 75 degrees tomorrow (when I need the cake to be done) so I am thinking it will be cool enough.

thanks in advance!

I usually color mine, I can't remember ever airbrushing it but I've painted it with color and alcohol. I don't use anything to roll it out--it's a temperature thing. It just depends on how big your figure is. A 'not huge' topper probably would not need support. It's hard to be specific.

Once your figurine is complete you can firm it up in the frige for sure--but you want to be careful of humidity and condensation issues which I don't have any when I put this substance in & out of my frige but it's not the same everywhere.

Not easy to be real specific for you.