• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recommendations for mendocino

Lobstergun

I'm headed to Mendocino for a long weekend and am hoping for some good places to eat. i was there 2 years ago and was not impressed with the usual suspects, but a friend tells me to give it a second chance.

I don't know who the "usual suspects" are. Mendocino is a very small town. The "center" of town where the restaurants are established span only half a block. The choices are limited.

We ate at Medocino Cafe only 2 weeks ago. It was decent but not fantastic.

Only about 5 miles or so away, there are a couple of restaurants in the marina of Fort Bragg that I would like to try next time.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Is Cafe Beaujolais one of the usual suspects? Is it no longer any good? I will admit I was there a long time ago (almost 11 years ago to the day when we got engaged), but we really, really enjoyed it.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

Is Cafe Beaujolais one of the usual suspects?  Is it no longer any good?  I will admit I was there a long time ago (almost 11 years ago to the day when we got engaged), but we really, really enjoyed it.

I ate at Cafe Beaujolais 2 years ago, and it was disappointing. I believe 11 years ago the original owners were still there, and it was still a great restaurant. While the restaurant today still has the name and the recognition, I got the impression they are resting on that, and the food is not very good. My experience last year was just bad, and way overpriced.

When i say the usual suspects it's because there always seem to be the same 4 or 5 restaurants mentioned in the area, 3 of which have already been mentioned here and all of which i tried on my last trip. I had some good meals, but I'm wondering if there is anything new or interesting.

Edited by Lobstergun (log)

I'm wondering if there is anything new or interesting.

I go up about twice a year for art intensives and I'm afraid there is nothing new or interesting. Have you tried 955 Ukiah? I prefer it to Cafe Beaujolais which is slightly more formal and upscale. I'd head to Sanford Inn for breakfast (vegetarian, but at least interesting).

Thanks for the suggestion for 955 Ukiah. The service was a little stand offish, but the food was nice. Obviously very fresh ingredients. We also ate at the Ledford House which was great, and such a beautiful view from the bar! The best meal we had though was at Stevenswood. We ordered the tasting menu and were surprised and impressed with everything. The highlights were a consomme of butternut squash, a scallop with pork belly and mushroom foam, and the lamb with pumpkin and truffles was delicious. We had a good dinner in fort bragg as well at the Mendo Bistro. We didn't plan on enjoying the food as much as the overall vibe, but it turns out we were impressed on all fronts.