• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Krispy Kreme

torakris

I think Kat Tanaka Okopnik has the answer that is relevant today. In my area we have no KK stores anymore. They're sold in gas station convenience stores. Our local Mom & Pop shop blows them away. Plus, our local supermarkets have stepped up their in-house donut game significantly.

All of the outlets in the Southern LA basin that I was aware of have either folded, as heidih noted, or have converted from having in-house made, freshly fried KKs to *factory made, shipped in to the stores in a large carton* KKs. If Krispy Kremes were ever good, it was in the nanosecond after they came out of the icing tunnel, hot from the grease. Cold, they were, and are, nasty.

I've also noticed you also can't find them in boxes in the mega-Mart chain grocerys any longer. Not that *that's* a huge loss, but still I think it speaks to how the market in Los Angeles at least, did not roll over and beg for Krispy Kremes.

Perhaps it was like the Boston Market marketing model....trying to get too big, too fast and be all things to all people is a sure way to tank your product and its quality. Or perhaps Krispy Kremes just didn't suit Westerner's tastes. But for whatever reason, the KK brand is as good as gone, at least in Southern LA County.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 1 month later...

It explains a lot about me that this thread caught my eye, I saw the "Are they really that good?" subtitle and immediately came in here to post "oh Lord yes!!!"

Now, they're not dipping into your coffee doughnuts, and honestly once they cool off they are ridiculous sugar bombs that will give you diabetes if you stare at them too long. But there has been many, many a night where I made some daring U-turns across three lanes of traffic because I saw the "Hot and Ready" light! Oh warm and fresh-glazed, where they're still so fresh the glaze hasn't set up yet and you're trying to drive with your knees because you're too busy licking your fingers clean so your steering wheel doesn't turn into a giant sticky mess....

*sigh* stupid gluten allergy :sad:

I'm here to learn

KK is way better than Dunkin. A shame the way they expanded wildly during the stock market bubble. If I remember right they execs were pushing KK as a growth company and riding the bubble.

The KK we had here in Riverside closed down, and is now a bank. We still have one by Ontario Mills Mall, conveyor belt and everything, and it is an outstanding store. Still doing booming business, so hopefully it will stay around. I need my lemon-filled donuts!

I'm no connoisseur of donuts so can't do much other than guess they are rather simular to the rest of their ilk.

That being said, all I do know, it's they're being sold by 2nd parties or a bootlegs version their of, on the streets of Bangkok. It's an annual craze... some product catches on and everyone goes crazy for them, overflowing the sales outlet and creating a middle man for those who can't wait in line. Cool, huh? :blink:

I grew up in the South, so they were really the only donuts we ate. But, the closet one was in Atlanta, about 2 hours away, or we always got them when we got to Daytona for vacation. They were an occasional treat. They were available in some local supermarkets as well, but weren't as good.

Too bad they got crazy and over expanded. A lot of the ones in the bay area closed, but the first one in Union City is still there. I hit it when I take 880. I still like the hot glazed, custard filled and lemon the best.

Wow. That's crazy.. Where are they standing? Outside of a hotel that caters to Western (American?) tourists and business travelers?

Nope... central location.. only saw Thais buying them... by the box load! :laugh:

• 6 years later...

Reviving this thread to post a limited edition Krispy Kreme dream pairing:

"Yes please: Krispy Kreme teams up with Ghirardelli chocolate"

For a limited time, Krispy Kreme is offering Mint Chocolate and Sea Salt Caramel doughnuts. The best part: the chocolate is from San Francisco-based chocolatier Ghirardelli.

Where is that Homer Simpson drool emoji? :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 years later...

"Krispy Kreme Just Released 2 Reese’s Chocolate Glazed Donuts That Are STUFFED With Fillings"

Krispy Kreme is on a roll with its Original Donut! First, it stuffed the donut with classic and chocolate fillings, and recently it celebrated its 82nd birthday with a cake batter-filled Original Glazed donut. Now you have to prepare your taste buds for not one, but two new Reese’s Lovers Original Filled Doughnuts.

Remember those Reese’s Chocolate Lovers Cups and Reese’s Peanut Butter Lovers Cups that launched in April? It gave snackers a chance to choose their favorite part of the classic Cup. Now picture those in donut form.

The Reese’s Original Filled Chocolate Lovers Doughnut is a chocolate Original Glazed donut that’s filled with Reese’s peanut butter Kreme, dipped in chocolate fudge icing, and drizzled with Reese’s peanut butter icing. The second one, the Reese’s Original Filled Peanut Butter Lovers Doughnut, is also a chocolate Original Glazed donut, but it’s filled with chocolate peanut butter Kreme, dipped in Reese’s peanut butter icing, and drizzled with chocolate icing.

The new doughnuts will be available only for a limited time.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

I have always been a lover of Krispy Kreme donuts, and was thrilled when they opened a store here. But I don't know if they've changed the glaze or what, but it seems heavier and entirely too sweet. Plus, their chocolate glazed are glazed plain first, then glazed with chocolate on top of that, which is just overkill. All of 'em are too sweet for me.

I'm back to Shipley's ( a regional chain, I think).

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

I saw something about this today on FB.  A tunnel of PB.  I'm gonna be in line tomorrow right after I have my dentist appt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I saw something about this today on FB.  A tunnel of PB.  I'm gonna be in line tomorrow right after I have my dentist appt.

Your dentist will be thrilled.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

No - AFTER!!!  I'm getting a permanent crown and a temporary crown.  Luckily, they are both on the same side,  So I can chew my doughnuts on my left side.😁

I meant your dentist's retirement account.  I had a crown fitted today.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

So, dental work went well.  But it took 2 hours, so I was ready for my Reese's doughnuts.  When I got home with them, Mr. Kim had gone for a haircut.  I got 2 doughnuts (one each) for us to share and two for Jessica, so I had to wait for him.  😑  The doughnuts:

DSCN9935.JPG.405510525a7fdd22e10d3f042f29c654.JPG

The one the left is filled with chocolate peanut butter cream and iced in peanut butter icing:

DSCN9939.thumb.JPG.3759115197f0b48e8abbda6d6c5fa78f.JPG

The one on the right is chocolate glazed filled with peanut butter cream:

DSCN9941.JPG.9ed022854cc875f68b2c74ff72a363d4.JPG

Both VERY sweet, but we liked them - good peanut butter flavor.  Could not possibly eat more than one at a time. 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Oddly, I received a PR email from Kripsy Kreme at my workplace (so no online link) with this announcement:

"Krispy Kreme® Collaborates with Butterfinger® in Collision of ‘Krispety’ Cravings with Two New Doughnuts"

Krispy Kreme’s Butterfinger® doughnuts deliver a true collision of “Krispety” cravings for fans of both brands:
•The Butterfinger® Original Filled Doughnut is an Original Glazed® doughnut filled with Peanut Butter Chocolate Kreme™, dipped in Butterfinger® icing and topped with Butterfinger® pieces and a chocolate drizzle.  
•The Butterfinger® Fudge Cake Doughnut features a rich chocolate cake doughnut dipped in chocolate icing, topped with a Peanut Butter Chocolate Kreme™ and Butterfinger® pieces.

Having tasted (and detested) the new-recipe Butterfinger candy bar, I will pass on these doughnuts.

If anyone takes one for the team, please report back.

Tim Oliver

I used to dearly love Krispy Kremes when the "hot" light was on. They seem to have changed the glaze, and they taste way too sweet now.

Are you referring to the Butterfinger Crisp? I don't like it either, but I still find "regular" Butterfingers on the shelves.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

38 minutes ago, kayb said:

I used to dearly love Krispy Kremes when the "hot" light was on. They seem to have changed the glaze, and they taste way too sweet now.

Are you referring to the Butterfinger Crisp? I don't like it either, but I still find "regular" Butterfingers on the shelves.

I am referring to the regular Butterfinger candy bar. They changed the recipe. It actually used to taste buttery. There was much ado when they (recently) made the change to the recipe. The candy bar does not taste the same as it used to.

Tim Oliver